Here's a cover I made of the main theme from God Hand (2006). There isn't MIDI or anything available AFAIK so I had to transcribe it by ear, and thus a few of the chords might not be 100% correct (I'm not a music theory person).
Interesting note: the song features several key changes. Take a look at the code and you'll see that this is being done dynamically by raising/lowering the pitch of the 8 custom instruments at certain points in the song. This allowed me to reuse a lot of patterns despite the three main sections being in different keys (I don't think I would have been able to fit everything into 64 patterns otherwise).
Just some neat stuff I've figured out so far messing with the custom instruments feature in p8 v0.1.11.
Featuring: Claps, (swung!) hi-hats, record scratches, and some other weird stuff.
Here's a cart containing all the music data from my recently released game "地獄・Hell", an entry into the "A Game By Its Cover 2017" jam on itch.io. The game itself was designed to run in (a slightly modified version of) picolove, and takes advantage of some of its nonstandard features, and thus I can't post the full cart here.
Interesting note: picolove's reimplementation of PICO-8's sound engine isn't perfect, so the sound ends up having a somewhat different character. In particular, the difference in the way the fast arpeggios behave (especially in track 26) is quite noticeable.
Fight your way through the violence house and defeat the master of violence. Can you survive the violence? Warning: contains blood and violence.
This ended up evolving into my first real pico-8 game, even though it started as more of an experiment. It's basically a standard beat 'em up where you're trying to progress through a house filled with dudes who are trying to kill you. I think Splatterhouse was my main inspiration here, since it was the only real beat 'em up I played as a kid. Anyway, it's essentially feature-complete, but really poorly balanced and without a lot of polish. Not to mention short. But I learned a ton while writing it, and that's the important thing.
-Five unique weapons (they vary not only in damage but in cooldown time and knockback force)
-Six unique-ish enemies
-Seven stages of brutal combat
-One brutal boss battle
-Frustratingly sparse health pickups
this came together pretty quick. it turns out it's hard to design good challenging sokoban puzzles, so most of these are relatively simple.
x to reset level.
update 2: so i guess the bare skeleton of the flow of gameplay is implemented. right now the three opponent players just discard a tile at random after they draw. you might as well do that too, since I haven't yet begun the process of implementing any of the actual rules of mahjong. (I'm sitting at 3309/8192 tokens right now, but my code is pretty messy.)
update: i was having trouble wrapping my head around structuring my code around the _update() and _draw functions, and realized that for a game like this (no camera movement, minimal animation, simple actions taking place on a "turn" basis), it actually makes more sense to take a more simple approach -- ie, the game logic will just be one giant loop that cycles through each players turns until the game is over. Whenever I need to animate something I can just have a little loop that calls flip() after each frame of the animation is drawn. It should be obvious that I kind of have no idea what I'm doing.
Anyway, here's the wall-building phase at the start of a round. The first dealer is selected randomly. The 136 tiles are shuffled (that's what the noise is supposed to be), then the four sections of the wall are built up tile by tile. The dealer rolls the dice (with a cool little animation) to decide where to break the wall and start drawing from. The dora indicator is flipped, and the four players each take turns drawing their hand of 13 tiles.
test test test
don't look at my code, it's bad