Cart #tombliboo_tiles-0 | 2023-12-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Tombliboo Tiles: a little music toy made for my toddler. Move around on the screen and press the buttons to make music.

P#138489 2023-12-09 18:14

My daughter asked me to play something for her on your tombliboo. Here's what I came up with.

This is actually not that easy to play as there's quite a few diagonal movements with octave change.

P#138532 2023-12-11 03:28

@RealShadowCaster I love the notation you've made! It's a bit tricky at the moment playing anything specific because when you move you play a note, but it makes it a lot more fun if you just want to mash buttons as toddlers are fond of doing. :)

P#138574 2023-12-11 22:59

@extar
Pretty colors and audio feedback for each button pressed makes perfect sense in the context. If we wanted to keep that while adding full playing control, the board could be a 3x3 so every note would be reachable from everywhere, but I wouldn't have wanted to use it. Had I tweaked your code that way, my daughter would have called me a cheater. The fun part was to find a Xmas song playable within the constraints. (cheated a a bit in style with the B G third that became B AG, call it artistic license)

The second half of the grid doesn't provide any extra control : going up is always the same as going down.
If we keep the 4x4 format and two of each in the grid constraint, a grid that gives more control should be possible. I like that you can go up and down a note with yours, so I should try to keep that feature, but I'd like to freely do thirds, so...

cEGB
DFAC
EGBc
FACD

Would allow free steps and thirds, a lot of forth, but almost no fifth, and we lose the nice orthogonal path for the steps.

P#138587 2023-12-12 08:32

[Please log in to post a comment]