This was a little project I started around Halloween, something I've seen a few attempts of before, but wanted to try it m'self: remake the first FNAF game in PICO 8.
The actual mechanics of the game are fairly simple, most of it's just timers + dice rolls, but trying to ape the presentation of the game was probably the biggest challenge. In the end opted for a sort've mix of first person and top down perspectives.
Think the behaviours are fairly authentic to the original, there's a couple of functional under the hood differences. Despite being decompiled and heavily analysed there's still a lot of vague information about how some of the mechanics work in the original, but there was enough there to get the basics down.
As always this is a fan made demake - all characters 'n concepts are (c) Scott Cawthon.
- Controls are entirely mouse controlled.
- (Cheat) Hold Z/button 1 to skip time while in game.
- The 4 classic animatronics with their original behaviour.
- All 5 nights from the original game with save system.
- Bonus 6th night unlocked after beating Night 5.
- Bonus custom night unlocked after beating Night 6.
- If you hear stomping, it means an animatronic is getting closer and may be found in the lower half of the map
- Can't find someone on the cameras but think they're close? Check the door lights in the office.
- Bonnie and Foxy will travel via the left hall, while Chica and Freddy use the right.
- Hear a strange noise and can't close one of the doors? Someone's got into the office...
Stuff that didn't make it:
- Golden Freddy: his poster is set up to swap, but didn't get his actual appearance in.
- The end game reward screens (earning your paycheck/getting fired etc).
Plenty of tokens left for adding stuff and code is mostly awful.
Number of times I jumpscared myself while working on this: 7
ok so this is my first time ever playing a fnaf game and thought "how scary could this be in a pixelart" and boy was i wrong i'm lucky because i was born with low blood pressure because if had average blood pressure and played the original game i would have severe issues sleeping at night, or even worse
[Please log in to post a comment]