Guys I'm in big trouble here

After a break up, I had to give back the computer I was working with and acquire a new one.
I've downloaded the latest update of Pico 8 on my new cheapo ~2017 macbook air
(similar to the last computer, albeit running the most up to date MacBook OS)
now my game, the biggest I've ever worked on, runs as a black screen, and doesn't seem to want to go through the code and check where all the functions are.

I think it's because
A) I didn't work on this file on this computer
but more likely
B) it's running on a more up to date version of Pico 8...
to make matters worse:
the stupid recent Mac OS won't let me run my .bin exports I made while the game was running perfectly on that original computer
(unfortunately, foolishly, I never exported the game as a cartridge while it was running on the prior computer... only the .bin export....)

Has anyone else had a problem like this before?
where the game no longer seems to look through the code completely?

any tips or help appreciated-- I can send somebody my .bin export of the game to see if they can run it...

P#138264 2023-12-05 10:23

I'm not sure how to help with this, but I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't know that there's any (easy) way to revert a binary to source (I think this would require reverse-engineering), are you sure you don't have any of the p8 files lying around? Good luck, perhaps someone else here will have more help.

P#138304 2023-12-05 21:33

So, I downloaded a prior version of Pico 8 (0.2.5e ) and it opens and runs just as it used to... weird.

the newest version of Pico 8 can't run my game properly but the version from a few months back still does... Im not sure what's responsible here... Have you ever heard of this happening before?
I think my code was getting around 6k (of the 8k possible to use)... perhaps it's because my code was a bit soupy?
(it was a learn-as-i go first project, after all)

I can send you the PNG or .bin export (made from the 0.2.5e) version and see if it runs for you if you like, idk.

P#138330 2023-12-06 08:52

newer versions fix bugs and change some details, which sometimes can break your game. but there should be a clear error message, or visible problems on screen. if you can upload your PNG here you will see if the bbs pico-8 version can run it!

P#138346 2023-12-06 16:09

Rejoice! (or at least, one step closer)

I discovered the problem (it was a simple thing, of cause)

I had left a '--[[' comment open but it was only greyed out as a normal "--" note.
strangely enough, It isn't noted or a problem in the earlier version of Pico 8

Now, however, I've noticed that while I've fixed it on the current Desktop app version, it seems to have trouble opening here..
hmm.

HERE IS THE GAME
(if you hold DOWN for ~4 or so seconds on the title screen, it changes to the intended Title)

Basically, It's going into a coin operated arcade cabinet-- where the "C" button is the coin insert slot.
I'll upload the game properly when I also snap some photos of the completed cabinet

Cart #toyehirere-1 | 2023-12-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#138382 2023-12-07 10:47

FWIW, I was able to launch the game, scroll down to the spiders in the cave game, insert a coin and play until death. It didn't have any trouble opening or playing here on the BBS for me.

P#138385 2023-12-07 12:46 ( Edited 2023-12-07 12:46)

I'm glad you got this back! This is a really cool take on sword combat, I don't think I've played anything quite like this before.

P#138400 2023-12-07 18:20

Haha thanks! -- my thought was to make something similar to Zelda 1--
Most likely I'll follow up the idea in a future game, maybe add a dash/evade feature with that second button

P#138420 2023-12-07 23:48

[Please log in to post a comment]