Small circuit sim I made inspired by Virtual Circuit Board.
Includes wires, lights, switches, and gates and not gates.
Everything should feel intuitive.

If you find any bugs, please let me know!

Version 1.1 is here!

Changelog:

Added latches and delays.
Latches are dark orange when off and yellow when on.
They can store current.
E.g.:
If the grey part of the latch is powered by a wire, the latch will output what is on the purple part. However, if the purple and grey parts are on, and then the grey is turned off, the latch will still output what was on the purple part.
Delays are dark-grey when off and grey when on. They will, as the name suggests, delay the current from passing by one "visual tick".

Cart #circuitsim-5 | 2023-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Mobile version:

Cart #circuitsimmobile-5 | 2023-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Version 1.0:

Changelog:

Initial release.
Included wires, lights, switches, and gates and not gates.

Cart #circuitsim-2 | 2023-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As a challenge, try to make a smaller xor gate.
How tiles are counted:

In this image, you can see a channel down the middle.
This has an exit, so the channel isn't counted toward the total tiles.
Lower you will see four 1 by 1 empty areas.
These are counted because they are fully enclosed.
Any tiles you place, will also be counted toward the final score.

Xor gate list: (1.0+)

Score to beat: 34 units of enclosed area.

Solutions by thePixelXb_ and stadam (in order)

(also, for those of you who say stadam's solution is 35 tiles, stop, please)

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=67356

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?uid=75813

thePixelXb_'s solution

stadam's solution

If you didn't understand any of these, here is an example:

Things I probably should add:

Another wire that doesn't interact with the red wire?
A built-in xor gate?
Some way to save circuits so that you can use them again as a tile.

P#133658 2023-08-28 16:23 ( Edited 2023-09-01 09:09)

Well, making circuits is sort of interesting for me.

However, playing simply by mouse press is rather uncomfortable for mobile phone players like me.

And, could you also make a list of what those tiles exactly are?

P#133683 2023-08-29 11:18

@thePixelXb_ I understand that it doesn't really work on mobile, but changing it wouldn't really help. You still need to be able to move the mouse, maybe through some tile based selector. This takes up all the arrow keys. Next to you need to be able to place and delete tiles. Maybe I could make both of these actions be mapped to the same button, for example x. And then, you have to be able to cycle through the tiles. Because we already used the arrow keys and x, that leaves only o (by default, for some reason it is the c key on a keyboard), so the cycling would be one-way. Still, I decided to make a mobile "friendly" version. It works how I described above. It is somewhat frustrating to use, but should work.

Cart #circuitsimmobile-2 | 2023-08-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

You also asked what each tile does, so here is a list:

There are switches, which can be changed between being off or on during simulation. Switches that are on can power lights and wires.

Lights are dark-grey when they are off and white when they are on. They can be powered with switches, wires or gates.

Wires are dark purple-ish when off and red when on. Wires can power other wires, gates or lights.

The green tiles are and gates. They will power the wire or light below them if both inputs are on, aka the purple parts of them are touching wires that are on. Switches don't work on gates!

The dark blue tiles are not gates. They will power the wire or light below them if the input is off, aka the purple part of them is touching a wire that is off.

Hope this helps!

P#133696 2023-08-29 16:27 ( Edited 2023-08-29 20:13)

i think this should work (?), but feel free to correct me. i know with XOR you only get true when an odd number of switches are on, but for some reason the circuit doesn't light up sometimes.

P#133699 2023-08-29 16:35

@stadam you are right. It should work. The only reason it doesn't is because of the not gate logic. I will go fix it.

P#133700 2023-08-29 16:39

@stadam Fixed it now.

P#133702 2023-08-29 16:52

@Guest122

Finally! Nice experience to build the XOR gate, and, compress the gate to minimum.

With solid keypress and "electronic pen and paper" at hand, here is a gif on how I got familiar with the cart and gradually polish the project:

And the "readable" and compressed products are here!
(edit: now 34 tiles, if switches are included)

*Of course the thing should have been symmetric, but I found a troubling glitch midway if you place like the pic here.

P#133711 2023-08-29 19:39 ( Edited 2023-08-29 20:10)

@thePixelXb_ the glitch you are talking about is related to an issue with the not gate. I fixed it on the "desktop" version, but not the "mobile" one. Still, good job on 34 tiles! You are technically ahead of stadam, but their version can be shrunk by one tile, by moving the light one tile to the left, so I will consider it a tie. Edit: should have fixed the bug.

P#133713 2023-08-29 20:09 ( Edited 2023-08-29 20:13)

[Please log in to post a comment]