In "Hungry Potato", you play as a lovable potato with an insatiable appetite. Your mission is to help the famished spud capture falling food while evading many pesky enemies.
- Left Arrow: Move Left
- Right Arrow: Move Right
- X Key: Jump
- Z Key: Turn on/off music
- Several Enemies: You encounter a variety of critters which are progressively more challenging to dodge.
- Hunger Berserk: If the hunger grows over a threshold, the potato goes into a hungry frenzy, allowing it to devour all enemies and invulnerability at the cost of a quickly decreasing score.
- Boss fight: At the end of level 25, a boss - Mr Squirrel- stops the potato on its journey.
This is my first larger project in Pico-8. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
-- update 2023-07-26
- fix issues where player would die in menu, before the game would start
- thanks @phil for feedback
- Turn on/off music with Z-key
- improve visibility of text for level and points
-- update 2023-07-27
- added difficulty options (default, easy)
@voidgazerBon - Congratulations! You have created a small charming game. The graphics are very appealing.
Some comments, that you can choose to ignore if you wish:
- What makes the level value increase? Is it just time? I think it starts on level 2 and then goes to level 3 before I even eat anything?
- I like the game mechanic of not eating for a bit so I can go into a frenzy to eat the enemies. This is a good bit of gameplay, but can I actually starve to death?
- The level value at bottom right is in red against brown making it difficult to read. Just change the colour
- Does the score have to have a trailing "P" ? It took me a while to work out what it represented
- Please have an option to turn of the music and just have the sound effects!
- The gameplay can get a bit dull after a while (I only made it to level 17 so never saw the boss). How about every 5 levels, there is a pause? Or maybe day turns to night and vice-versa. I see that as levels increase new enemies are introduced (the big mushrooms were particulalry annoying, but in a good way)
- I think this game either needs lives or health points. Its very punnishing at the minute
But bravo for creating this ! I have never created a finished PICO 8 cartridge so you're doing better than I am :)
Hi @phil, thank you for the great feedback. I have updated the game with some of your points (see the update log). To address some of your comments,
- The levels are mostly just for the timekeeping. So players can track how far they got and compare their scores with their previous runs.
- You cannot starve to death, but you can run out of points. So nothing prevents players from staying in a frenzy and having a relatively easy run, except that their final score will be very low.
- I like the idea of changing the day to night to break out the monotony. I will think about implementing it.
[Please log in to post a comment]