Cart #deathdungeon2-2 | 2023-04-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Grow Dungeon

A short platformer that takes place in a deep, damp cavern. Unlock abilities and grow plants to reach the end!

Controls

• Move - Arrows
  • Jump - O
  • Staff - X

Credits

Programming and Art - Cannon
Level Design - Snycent
Music - Lark

Play the original on itch.io here.
Try out Death Dungeon!

P#129147 2023-04-29 19:36 ( Edited 2023-04-29 21:20)

I played this a while ago on itch.io! As i was playing I thought to myself "huh, why did i never complete this?", ONLY TO BE HIT WITH THE EXACT SAME SOFTLOCK THAT KILLED ME LAST TIME MERE SECONDS LATER!
Pretty good game

P#129167 2023-04-29 23:41 ( Edited 2023-04-30 00:06)

@phillepe I THOUGHT I FIXED IT

P#129218 2023-05-01 09:36

I like the bit about growing/shrinking plants. Was it inspired by something? It feels familiar but I can't place it.

Another thing I appreciated were the granular respawn points. When I died a few times trying to jump over one of the spiky rock turtles, I didn't have to go back to the beginning of the screen, or the beginning of the game, or back to a checkpoint somewhere in the middle of the caves. The game just popped me right back on the tile next to the turtle. I really hate it when games force you to needlessly repeat bits of the game you have already passed just to get back to the current challenge. Yours didn't make me do that.

I did have some collision problems. Early on, there's a spot where you grow two plants horizontally out of the wall, and you have to jump down to the second one. I jumped down without using the wand and got stuck on a pixel right where the second/bottom plant comes out of the wall and couldn't move. Eventually, with enough button mashing, I broke free and was able to fall into the water and die so I could try again. I also found it sticky any time two plants intersected while I was on one of them.

I have one very minor gripe about the gameplay. When you use the wand to grow plants, they shrink back after a few seconds. There's a spot where you use the wand to shrink plants that are blocking your way, but they don't grow back when you stop using the wand. I think they should, because that's how you've established that this works.

I like the music at the end. It's cute and catchy.

Good job.

P#129253 2023-05-01 19:31 ( Edited 2023-05-01 19:33)

@PoorCosmo Woah, thanks for the thorough review! I agree that the vines should grow back out after a short while, I'll have to change that when I can

P#129254 2023-05-01 19:40

[Please log in to post a comment]