by scrimpy
Cart #yimyonudu-0 | 2022-05-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

i figured out how to flip the sprite on its x axis but cant figure out how to make the car face up or down when the UP or DOWN buttons are pressed. the car moves up or down but i cant get it to point up or down. how could i get this to work?

P#112206 2022-05-24 03:08 ( Edited 2022-05-24 03:48)

If you need to have only 1 sprite for the car, this thread has code that allows rotating the sprite:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38548
The technique in that code does use up a map space though.

If you're okay with using a couple more spots on the sprite sheet, the easier way is to just make a sprite for the car facing up or down and give your player table an entry for the sprite. From there, the way to get the code to determine which sprite to use would be the same as you've already used for flipping.

P#112207 2022-05-24 05:29

the spr function only lets us flip a sprite horizontally, vertically or both, but not rotate 90°, so we have to prepare a separate sprite that looks down (and another that looks up, for people or some vehicles — your car sprite would be okay with the same sprite to go up and down). you can use an advanced function like the one kimiyoribaka pointed to, then you get many possible angles (but not all sprites look good rotated, so need to experiment!), or if you only want a few directions (4 or 8), then preparing different sprites is still the simple solution.

P#112210 2022-05-24 09:01 ( Edited 2022-05-24 09:01)

@kimiyoribaka I’m relatively new to coding, so could write out how that would look? The part about making other sprites for up and down and implementing them like I did with flipping the sprite

P#112243 2022-05-25 01:26

Well, the other sprites would be made in the sprite editor. Your code currently has the car as sprite 1, so you would need to draw the vertical version of the car at the spot for a different number on the sprite sheet. I'll use 2 as the example so you can see it in the code.

From there the code would look like this:

function _init()
player = {x=60,y=60,flipx=false,flipy=false,sprite=1,}
end

function _update60()
    if btn(0) then player.x-=1.5 end
    if btn(1) then player.x+=1.5 end
    if btn(2) then player.y-=1.5 end
    if btn(3) then player.y+=1.5 end
    if btn(0) then player.sprite = 1 player.flipx = true player.flipy = false end
    if btn(1) then player.sprite = 1 player.flipx = false player.flipy = false end
    if btn(2) then player.sprite = 2 player.flipx = false player.flipy = true end
    if btn(3) then player.sprite = 2 player.flipx = false player.flipy = false end
end

function _draw()
    cls(7)
    palt(15, true) -- beige color as transparency is true
    palt(0, false) -- black color as transparency is false
    spr(player.sprite, player.x, player.y,1,1,player.flipx,player.flipy)
end

Basically, it's just a matter of making sure your update code includes all the ways the drawing of the car could be different and your draw code plugs them all in. There's also ways to make this much more concise, but it's important to make sure you've got working code that you can read before trying to make it better.

P#112244 2022-05-25 01:45

[Please log in to post a comment]