Hey, @zep.

Thought I would make a few more suggestions if I may.

1. When you edit a line, it is entirely possible to have spaces on the end of that line as you can see here:

Instead in loading or editing a line, truncate all the trailing spaces on the end of it. Obviously if it is a bunch of trailing spaces followed by a quote or something, you don't truncate but =DO= truncate if all it - is just spaces.

1. Even with KEYCONFIG() you cannot make use of the number keypad in editing your code, nor any keys of the number keypad such as U D L R Home PgUp End PgDn. Suggest future Pico-8 recognize these keystrokes.

2. There is no way to change the repeat speed for keys for the Pico-8 editor itself. Suggest there be an option to do so, just like you can do with user game input via poke(0x5f5c,nn) and poke(0x5f5d,nn) Maybe in Keyconfig() or something.

3. Editing sprites. If you plot a colored pixel on a sprite that already has this color on it, instead plot the last color read by the mouse that is also not the color you are attempting to plot.

This is not for use when holding down the mouse button but for simple taps to edit pixels.

1. 120 frames-per-second is achievable. Or at least it's a flicker-free 60fps I have found. Please add _update120() or _update60ff() since when using 120-frames-per-second, you get absolutely no flicker at all. Code to follow to demonstrate. Try as is, then load it up in Pico-8 and try it with 60fps, big difference, you get flicker:

Cart #nemuhuwadi-0 | 2022-02-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

1. Instead of changing the size of the edit field when the cursor is inside the pixel edit area and you rotate the middle mouse button, have it rotate forwards or backwards to the next color like the 1 or 2 button do. Now if the cursor is outside the pixel edit area, then yes, changing the edit size as it does now would be fine.

2. When recording a video, any video that is less than 5-seconds long is discarded immediately. This will prevent the coder from accidentally pressing the wrong buttons such as F8 and F9 and can cut the video recording short thereby removing it entirely.

3. When recording a video, add to the titlebar to show how many seconds have elapsed of a recording.

4. If for whatever reason "P" does not work to pause a title because the keyboard flag has been turned on, always allow the user to exit the program by pressing CTRL+C which is the standard keystroke for BREAK in a program in most BASIC programming languages. Have CTRL+P to force pause.

5. Always have a different color than the background when typing in immediate mode. For instance. It is possible to run a program that exits or aborts with the color black set. Then if you try PRINT(...) you cannot see it as it is the same color as the background. Suggest color WHITE be chosen by default any time the background color and foreground color match but are not WHITE and choose the color BLACK to draw with anytime the background and foreground color are both WHITE.

You can determine the background color of a screen simply with CLS(nn).

1. The other is tricky indeed but would be quite helpful for me. Add a new command called CALC() or CALCULATE() which will calculate the value of a string. Variables are also permitted so you could have:
a=3
b=2
zed=4
print(calculate("a+b")) .. 5
print(calculate("2+3*zed")) .. 14
print(calculate("(2+3)*zed")) .. 20

Only calculations are permitted. Including sin() cos() ^ % \ etc. No ability to have calculate("pset(0,0)") etc. No commands that could be construed as a way of bypassing the standard Pico-8 command interpreter would be permitted.

1. This may be a personal request, I don't know. I have noticed some code actually has hard-coded TABs in them. Instead of actually saving character #9 in the source-code or what have you, have spaces, character #32 in succession. So TAB actually means to press SPACEBAR 2x. When loading new code convert all #9 to #32#32.

2. Matched parentheses. Many of you may have noticed in some advanced IDEs that you can type a closing parenthesis on a programming line and it will change color and also change the color of its matching parenthesis, for instance.

print(rnd(100))
print ( rnd ( 100 ) )
print ( rnd ( 100 ) )

If you type parenthesis after the 100, then the parenthesis just before the 100 can change to a color, like RED and match the color of the parenthesis you just typed. Type another parenthesis and it reverts the color of your typed and previously matching parenthesis to white and then the NEW matching parenthesis to RED. This would help coders determine as they are typing which parentheses match their formulae and commands.

1. Recall wildcard commands. As you can already type LOAD, space, and type out the beginnings of a filename where it will attempt to guess it if you press TAB, suggest this also be the same for any number of commands you have typed in immediate mode. For instance.

You could have typed in immediate mode:

a=67
print(a)
b=34
print(a+b)

So you could type, a= press TAB and it will type out 67 for you. If you typed print followed by TAB it would show both print statements as a choice, print(a) print(a+b) just like the LOAD command does.

Adding to that PRINT with (a+ pressing TAB again would type out the b) since that is the only option available from the print() command you've typed in immediate mode so far. And you can press ENTER from here to finish typing that command.

I have a lot of other ideas, but this should be enough for now. @zep, thanks for considering these revisions and additions !

P#106512 2022-02-07 22:24 ( Edited 2022-02-12 03:03)

Thought I would add this:

We have a set of controls listed to the right of every Pico-8 cartridge that can be played online.

What I'd like to request is a new icon above the joystick that is the CAMERA. If you click it, it will take the current image running in Pico-8 at that time, even if the Pico-8 cart is crashed and let you save it one of two ways.

Either one, to a unique .PNG filename on your HD.

Or two, save the 128x128 pixeled image to the clipboard via [ GFX ] that can be pasted with CTRL+V in a reply.

This would make it a lot easier for players to point out to programmers any bugs that exist in their game that is either crashing Pico-8 or showing some undesirable effect.

It could also be used to let a player show the author that they have won a particular game by going all the way through it - in a reply with screenshot as proof.

P#106750 2022-02-12 02:34 ( Edited 2022-02-12 14:17)

[Please log in to post a comment]