Cart #kibepirwi-0 | 2022-01-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls & Rules

⬅️⬆️⬇️➡️ - Move Puni!
Z - Spin clockwise!
X - Spin counter clockwise!

Use Puni's elements to warm up or cool down the sad sprits of the forest and bring them back into balance!

Credits

Developed by BlueTieCasual

Development Background

Puni! was developed in 10 days in submission to Global Game Jam Hong Kong 2022 (GGJHK2022) following the theme of duality. Quick note: while GGJ is typically a 48-hour period, GGJHK had allowed a 10-day period which I chose so that I could take my time and not over stress myself.

Also although this is my 7th consecutive year participating in GGJ, this is my first year on my own which was exciting! I also have in progress GIFs over the days of development on Twitter in case people were interested.

P#106029 2022-01-31 08:58

Cart #puni_mod-1 | 2022-01-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here, I was a little confused as to the sprite images so I changed them slightly. Hopefully they are easier to understand, @bluetiecasual.

Good game overall. Played and won. Really does require the brain so that's a win with me. Gold star effort.

P#106064 2022-01-31 19:37 ( Edited 2022-01-31 20:33)

Interesting sprite changes @dw817! I'll definitely note down the use of changing the colours on the outline as well for future projects.

P#106107 2022-02-01 11:22

Hi @bluetiecasual. Glad you like it.

I am playing this game again. It really is good. For those who want a speedrun challenge you might add a timer and see how fast people can win the game.

Pausing and continuing the timer only when it is possible to rotate the colors and move the player. So the timer would not move when you are showing instructions for the level or the screen is fading in or out.

Also I might add it is possible to get the player stuck against a wall. For instance if there was a vertical wall and I moved the player against it, I could not move up or down until I moved slightly away from it.

P#106132 2022-02-01 17:29

Thanks @dw817! Happy to hear that it's landing for you too. I was surprised at how pleased it ended up being as well hence wanting to share it.

While the timer would be cool, I've actually thought about possibly redoing the mechanics a little bit. So instead of having two different spirits as it is now (i.e. a fire and a ice spirit), all spirits can go flip between fire and ice states. The goal would then be to match the level's objective ratio of fire to ice spirits, but the puzzle would be to decide which spirits should be fire and which should be ice.

Also that's a known issue, it's just an inherent problem to how I've learned to quickly program physics to the individual tree tiles. I'd definitely use a more robust system if I were to do a proper development cycle and release.

P#106209 2022-02-02 13:49

[Please log in to post a comment]