Cart #sparkleteam-0 | 2021-09-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is a half-completed demake of the Sega Genesis title Shining Force. I played the game for the first time early this year, and I found myself fascinated with the turn-based battle system. My biggest annoyance with Shining Force was that characters take a movement turn on the map, then combat takes place in a battle screen for only one turn. As enjoyable as it is to see higher quality graphics of the characters and terrain on the battle screen, there's a lot of time wasted moving between the two views in larger battles. I decided to write a similar battle system, but have all combat take place on the map instead.

Here's how combat works: Characters on the map are sorted by their speed to determine turn order, then each character gets a movement and action turn. Playable characters have HP and MP bars that appear at the bottom of the screen during their turn. Depending on their class, a character may have ranged or melee attacks, as well as one or more magic spells. There are also potions hidden on the map, which characters can pick up by standing on them, and can drink as an action. There isn't a win condition implemented, but I found it fun to try and get my party to the castle in the center of the map while testing the mechanics.

Writing this cart was a great way to get comfortable with coroutines, and hopefully the code will prove helpful for other people writing turn-based battle systems. Let me know what you think!

P#97929 2021-09-28 15:58

Great job

P#99768 2021-11-07 22:38

Superb tactical game, @hypothete ! Nice that you don't have to choose which direction to face for every turn. Capital work. Gold star !

P#99777 2021-11-08 04:06

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 07:58:17 | 0.014s | Q:16