I'm just getting started and I wanted to know-how:
1) To create a custom player
2) How the scripting system works
3) How and where can I find the demo cartridges in Linux to open them and see how they are made and work
Thanks a lot hope to hear from you soon
This series of tutorials is quite nice: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9PPB6mawOBWzuPQAz_qPI6lWKMJBiwi1
For scripting, there are two ways:
- you can use actors settings to enable some built-in behaviours, and add microsripting to control more things (https://www.lexaloffle.com/vox_manual.html#c10_0)
- you can write lua code (like in pico8) to control everything in the scene (see https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=32743)
The carts may be under ~/.lexaloffle/Voxatron, or you could load one then escape to designer and see the code and other parts there.
Note that microscripting can be much faster than lua scripting; for example microscripting could be used to animate each flower in a scene, which would not be possible with the global scripting mode.
Both modes can also be used together.
(As a bonus, there is also a third mode which consists of including a pico-8 cart inside a voxatron cart and the game gets rendered in one slice of the display. That’s a fun bonus for devs who already know pico8!
[Please log in to post a comment]