I'm currently setting up a pi-based arcade cabinet with pico8, running through emulationstartion on retropie. I've got pico8 working sucessfully, with the exception that i cannot quit pico8 without a keyboard connected.

Looking at this thread here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28629, it seems that from version 0.1.11 the "menu" button should bring up a menu from the splore home, which you can then quit pico8 from. I assume this menu is the one brought up when the esc key is pressed. This doesn't work for me, the menu button lets you exit a game to return to splore, but does not let you shutdown splore itself. In the main splore menu the menu button functions as a select button. The only way to quit pico8 is with the esc key, not feasible for me as I don't wish to have a keyboard attached to the machine.

I am currently using PICO-8 v0.2.2c on both my computer and the pi, and both exhibit this same behaviour.

Has this feature been removed? Is the function of the menu key configured somewhere?

Any help would be much appreciated.

P#90919 2021-04-22 02:40

I think the behaviour is different if you run pico8 with the '-splore' option: Esc brings up a system menu rather than exiting to the console.

Pause is mapped to P / Enter by default; in splore, Pause brings up a cart menu, with an 'options' item that contains an item 'shutdown pico-8'.

P#90944 2021-04-22 17:43

If you’re using an emulation frontend, you’re probably running 'pico8 -run path/to/cart'; in that case, the Pause menu directly contains a 'shutdown' item.

P#90945 2021-04-22 17:45

Thank you! it was the change in behaviour as a result of the -splore tag which was throwing me off. Marked as resolved.

P#90960 2021-04-23 01:02

Can you explain how you resolved this? I'm having the same problem. I can use my controller to quit a cart, but that button does not bring up any menu in splore. From what I have read, the start button should bring up a menu to allow me to quit splore, but start does not appear to do anything (I have my start button mapped to b11 in my sdl_controllers.txt file), and the button I use to bring up the menu to quit a cart (right trigger, mapped to b9) just does the same thing as O and X in splore (selects whatever is highlighted). I'm on the same version of Pico-8 as you: PICO-8 (Beta) v0.2.2c

P#92120 2021-05-18 12:40

Hi,
My solution has been to use the menu that's brought up when you select an item in splore, as there is a (someowhat hidden and weirdly placed) quit option in there. While in splore, select a game with the start button, and you should see the menu "run cart" with other items below. There is a menu item under options>shutdown-pico8 to quit.

I'm not sure if i'm explaining clearly but i hope that helps!

P#92163 2021-05-19 00:09

[Please log in to post a comment]