Hi,

This is my first post and I don't know if it's a good thing to write a question here, so let's see.

First of all I LOVE Pico-8 since years, a friend of mine introduce me to this awesome project in a game jam and I immediately felt good with it. But I am bad at drawing, composing music and coding innovative games so after that event I stopped lua coding and just continued reading news and playing cartridge made by other. You guys really make my eyes shine.

Well today I decided to contribute by making a cart reader, browser, assets extractor and a sound/music player and editor (to begin). Things are progressing well and I will soon be ready for public release. But... questions :

• Is it legally authorized to distribute such tool ?
  • Do anybody (other than me) need/want it ?
  • Can someone help solve a pxa compression problem (maybe unicode related...) ? /!\ SOLVED

Screenshot of the actual cart browser (all WIP) :

Screenshot of the actual sound editor :

am i off topic ?

+===================+
| EDIT 2021-03-21
+===================+

A little update with two side projects, the first is intended to produce custom cartridge picture. Create or load custom picture or use pre-loaded templates, change color and text. You can also change existing cartridge picture without altering ROM data.

The second is intended to let you produce custom font file (.TTF) from a small pixel editor and use it anywhere for your game or any other document.

Tell me what you think.

+===================+
| EDIT 2021-03-26
+===================+

I just released the Pixel Font Editor (still in early dev stage, Windows only) with a TTF sample.
Use it at your own risk ^^. The editor is safe but installing custom font on your OS can put you in trouble !
Download it here : My Website

+===================+
| EDIT 2021-03-29
+===================+

Solved the PXA problem, I will be able to continue the dev.
Thanks to zeto8.

+===================+
| EDIT 2021-03-31
+===================+

Released another small tool that allows you to extract information (label, spritesheet, tilemap, lua code, P8 data) from a cartridge see picture below.
Download it here : My Website
If you have any problem or suggestion just let me know

Enjoy

P#88972 2021-03-14 21:28 ( Edited 2021-03-31 14:18)

woah

P#89503 2021-03-25 05:43

\> Is it legally authorized...

It would be best to ask zep for permission beforehand.

A particular concern is that you've used the Pico-8 logo e.g. as the app icon for your cart browser. As per the FAQ the icon can be used for complementary material for a PICO-8 cart such as box art, but if you are making a separate software product etc you will need to ask zep, especially since it may compete with or could be confused for an official Lexaloffle product.

\> Does anybody need/want it ?

Looks like there's potential to develop this further into useful dev tools -- unlike Pico-8's built-in editor it won't be constrained by display limitations.

P#89506 2021-03-25 07:43

Hi,
download link of the "pixel font editor" in original post.
if you have any problem using it please let me know

P#89625 2021-03-26 16:48

Hi,
download link of the "cartridge inspector" in original post.
if you have any problem using it please let me know

P#89785 2021-03-31 14:19

@EBArtSoft I love the custom cartridge maker! Is there anywhere i can download it?

P#103953 2021-12-31 21:24

It's interesting what you did here with the Font Editor, @EBArtSoft. Could you please allow import of any TTF to it ?

Also your grid is 7x7, please allow option for 8x8 which is standard Pico-8 sprite size.

P#103963 2021-12-31 22:20

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 07:59:26 | 0.021s | Q:18