Help your chosen bunny cover each level with poo then escape down a rabbit hole. Don't get caught by the fox or anything else that's out to get you!
Finish all 16 levels without restarting to achieve "Iron Bun" or just try to post a high score. Start at whatever level you like.
- Use the d-pad/arrow keys to direct your bunny.
- z/c/(O) to show where you haven't pooed yet.
- x to paws and return to the title screen.
- You can toggle the music or return to the title screen from the menu as well.
- The buns will keep running in the direction you choose until there's no clear path in front of them so there's no need to hold down the arrow keys.
- If you choose a new direction before a junction or corner they'll remember that and turn immediately so corner early for maximum speed.
- The bananas will give you a speed boost, but leave skins behind that you (or the fox) may slip on.
- Macaroon is too tough to be caught by the fox or anything else so if you just want to play through the levels (or practice) choose to play as her. Real-life Macaroon has seen off cats and kills blankets on a regular basis.
- The fox gets faster and the red kite will fly over as you cover more levels so choose which level you start from wisely if you're aiming for Iron Bun.
- Manipulate the fox, especially using the rabbit holes, to make your life easier.
1.1 Update: text legibility and efficiency improvements
1.1.1: restored kite spawn to be after a few levels and not right from the beginning.
This is my first PICO-8 game (in fact, my first full game for anything) so any feedback is welcome. More info about P8C-BUN is here: DrakeBlue.com.
This game was inspired by our real-life pet rabbits (especially Oreo, who does tend to poo everywhere) and exists thanks to the patience of my gf (who runs the rabbit-oriented website mentioned on the title screen RabbitRetail.co.uk and uses it to help donate to rabbit charities and rescues as well as feed ourselves and our own bunnies).
Purchase to download and support more development and bunnies here: https://rabbitretail.co.uk/products/p8c-bun-game
Or here: Drake Blue on Itch.io
I really enjoyed it! love the attention to de detail in all of the maps!
the one thing I thought was a bit odd is that puppy gets stuck sometimes, and other times they will camp the last area you need! (not sure if that was designed or not)
I liked it overall though, hoppy halloween!
Thanks - glad you like it. I had lots of fun making the silly levels.
Obviously there's advanced, machine-learning, neural network AI based on real fox DNA in there that makes it camp the holes and just generally act stupid :)
TBH the fox getting stuck is kinda half-designed in that I could think of various ways to fix it, but I liked the way it can reward a bit deviousness from the player and it can also lull you into a false sense of security if the fox isn't as stuck as you thought. I didn't want to make the game too hard and it was already getting that way early on in dev (e.g. the fox used to get faster over the course of a level, but I had to take that out).
So polished and fun! It's just bursting at the seams with clever visuals. As a total Pico-8 and coding novice, your blog write-up was really helpful too! I was super impressed by the mini-maps, immediately chose Dandelion because of her adorable ears, and was pleasantly surprised I didn't have trouble seeing her during gameplay - so it was nice to read the backstory and see that a lot of effort and care went into all those features!
Happy you had fun and found the write-up was interesting. Hope it provides some ideas. I mostly made up P8C-BUN as I went (clearly), but I think that might be the best way (at least for me). Will tell Dandy she has a fan and look out for a cat(?) based game in future 🙂
[Please log in to post a comment]