Finally "done" :)
> You awake from your rest in the void with a voice repeating in your head.
> It says: 'meow meow meow meow mexow' and you know what must be done:
> It's time to retrieve the book of Magu F'ahn.
You're a cat, you're magical, it's you and your wand against insurmountable odds, cats, and infinite pigeons.
A retro fps with 8 singleplayer maps and 3 "botmatch" maps. Select maps from main menu, all botmatch maps unlocked from the start, singleplayer maps unlock as you complete them.
You can also play this on the PICO-8 BBS
- Arrow keys - move (strafe if mouselook enabled)
- Z/C - strafe/sidestep (hold, then press left and right, unused with mouselook enabled)
- X - shoot
Note: mouselook does not work on the BBS version. Please use the pico-8 app, or the itch.io version of CFA
- Programming, art, sounds - Ben Jones
- Music by Steve Jones aka rych-t
- Raycasting engine based on Lode Vandevenne's Raycasting Tutorial - licensed under The 2 Clause BSD License
- PICO-8 heap sort by Morgan McGuire
- Point-line/line-line collision based on 2DArray's Gamedev tutorials
Source is licensed under The 2 Clause BSD License.
Assets are licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
Old bits and bobs from 2020-2021 original post
1) i don't know where the hell am i going because all blocks are same if there's map it's easier but when i played this i just wandering over and over again and memorized map
2) no cross hair, difficult to aim
3) no way to recognize enemy behind me until i get shot
4) have to memorize all of enemies, hard to avoid bullet due to limitation
https://armorgames.com/darkraid-delilah-game/19310 i think this can be good reference, if you making doom like stuff
@joealarson no, running out of ammo or picking up a different weapon is the only way. I did this to try to support to pico-8s 6 button layout (not including the pause button, although I know this was an option). Tried to balance things that there wasn't a "bad" choice, but broadly in terms of damage/ease of use it goes bombwand > chainwand / double-barreled wand (tied) > starting wand.
@OWD5238 most encounters require at least some circle strafing - this should minimise getting jumped by enemies/them getting behind you. I'll patch in the keyboard controls to honour the sensitivity setting (based on the original comment). The directional damage indicator + enemy barks upon "seeing" you are alerts that an unseen enemy has engaged you.
Thank you both for playing!
@851523 Thanks! Had to double-check about the mouselook, but there is no mouse support in the BBS version. I checked POOM and Trial Of The Sorcerer and they behave the same. Trial Of The Sorcerer instructions note that mouse controls do not work - I will update above. They do work however on the itch version - https://powersaurus.itch.io/caped-feline-arena or in the pico-8 app itself.
[Please log in to post a comment]