Cart #golgyeog_demo_1-0 | 2019-11-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Introducing GOLGYEOG, my newest and hopefully most likely to be finished project! Move and aim with the arrow keys, jump with Z, and fire with X to vanquish an endless horde of demon skulls peacefully minding their own business.

I'm looking for feedback on how the game feels to play in the moment, as well as how this current gameplay can be adapted to a more permanent progression system.

FYI, there are no unlocks yet, so don't even try.

P#69882 2019-11-13 19:37

So juicy and cool! Nicely done!

P#69884 2019-11-13 20:22

Looks excellent! Love the fire effect and the palette swap options.

P#69885 2019-11-13 21:16

This is some extremely good and juicy demon skull murderin'. The graphics are especially impressive.

As for feel, it's already in a good place, but I think the player movement can be improved, particularly the jump. If you have the tokens to spare, look into more forgiving jump timing and variable jump height. This project demonstrates both of these features really well: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28793

Also, if you can realistically pull it off with all those rad particles and visual effects, running at 60fps would immediately make it feel tighter to control. Right now player movement feels a little… floaty? Maybe a little too slidy?

As for progression: the post-game progression screen makes sense and feels right. Maybe you could make color palettes into unlocks? Also, more levels with different enemies (would be a lot of work though).

Anyway, πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

P#69886 2019-11-13 21:42
  • I could look into more forgiveness mechanics, given that precise platforming challenge isn't really a focus so it won't break any level design. Another person also mentioned the lack of variable-height jumping, so I think I'll prioritise that.

• The particles are actually surprisingly performant. Even with a lot of enemies on screen, CPU usage rarely, if ever, goes past 20%. The real challenge in switching to 60FPS is going through and halving all my hardcoded movement variables :')

• I'm still debating how overarching progression will be done. My initial plan is several floors of randomly-generated rooms similar to this demo, where X enemies have to be killed to advance. These would be punctuated by boss floors every now and then. Score will cumulate across runs and be used to unlock palettes (mainly because i have no other ideas for unlocks :P). The enemies will get harder and more varied as you go deeper into a run, although between enemy variety, the bosses, and already approaching the halfway mark for tokens, I'm beginning to doubt how feasible all of these things are.

And yes, πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

P#69887 2019-11-13 21:57

How did you get the title in Korean? I also love your sprite aesthetics.

P#86251 2021-01-08 05:52

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 17:53:03 | 0.010s | Q:21