Cart #upsidedown-0 | 2019-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Hey folks, I'm very new here! I recently discovered Pico-8, having tinkered with coding at various points in life (from ZX Spectrum and Atari ST, to C, C++ and Gamemaker Studio). I love Pico-8's idea of keeping things small and not too overwhelming.

Anyway, I've had an idea for a Stranger Things-inspired game. A platformer where your hero must 'flip' back and forth from the top-half of the screen, to the mirrored (upside-down) world on the bottom-half, in order to progress.

I've been working on the menu screen first of all. The reflected text is displayed using sprite flipping and palette swapping to save on sprites.

I'd love to have the reflected text wave slightly and thought a sinus process might do this?? However I have no idea how to achieve this, so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Here's a very early mock-up of how the game might look. Currently using some spites found on itch.io.

I'd also love some help in mirroring text, as shown in the mockup.

Oh, and I gave it a go to re-create the Stranger Things theme, but I have ZERO music theory knowledge, so if anyone fancied helping out there it would be awesome too!

P#66078 2019-07-24 21:41 ( Edited 2019-07-24 21:44)

Is that lil’steve? cute!

For the wavy effect, use sspr. You can copy a single text line, using sin(y/16+time) to offset each line.
(tweak the values for the desired effect)

For screen flip effect, look at memcpy - a bit more advanced but quite doable once got the memory layout and byte maths sorted out.

P#66088 2019-07-25 06:32 ( Edited 2019-07-25 06:43)

[Please log in to post a comment]