Cart #zap_bot-3 | 2024-05-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About:

Zap-bot is an homage to the old Gameboy era cheap SBC (single board computer) handleds and their stupid little games, like the Classic and Brick Brick game!

This is a port of the shooter line filler game inside that. Your goal is to clear the lines for as long as you can last!

Controls:

Move with arrow keys left and right.

Shoot with X.

Brought to you by:

My awesome supporters over at Ko-fi! They allow me to pursue this niche hobby of mine! If you'd like more, consider hopping over to my Ko-fi page, where I share pixel art, game devlogs, postmortems, code rundowns, all that gamedev jazz! And if you can maybe drop in a coffee so I can make the next one faster!

Thank you Csöndi and Nerdy Teachers for allowing me to keep up this hobby!

P#147960 2024-05-05 15:58 ( Edited 2024-05-10 19:40)

I have one of those handhelds myself, and I have to say, you made one hell of a recreation!

Bonus: Pictures of both the Game Brick and it playing the game you recreated

P#147964 2024-05-05 20:01

@rrops_real that is so cool to see an actual one! I have a real cheapo remake of these, sadly the old one gave up decades ago ... Will probably look into how complicated it would be to recreate a few more of these games. Thanks for the kind words!

P#147965 2024-05-05 20:26 ( Edited 2024-05-05 20:26)

@rrops_real , thanks for posting, that makes the recreation much more meaningful.
There is something that felt wrong about those dotted squares. Took me a good 5mn looking at my game & watch collection to finally understand what was bothering me :
In all G&W that use black for sprites, sprites are always composed of one to a few continuous ink spots, but you never have a spot embedded into another one :

for example, every eye from monkey, shark, people... is always attached to the ink spot of it's character.
You have sprites with multiple spots, like the MISS word that has 4 spots, or the parachutes that are using 2, but you never have a spot inside another one. I never really realized that, but that's part of what feels "right" to me, so all those dots in squares felt very wrong.
Now I'm curious, what that due to a LCD hardware constraint of the older generations of LCD games, that turned into a design decision to keep the style when the technical possibility to have nested spots finally appeared, or are G&W and the BRIK game using entirely different screen technologies that have different constraints ?

P#147966 2024-05-05 20:45

Great game.

P#147967 2024-05-05 22:00

@daycamp thank you, glad you enjoy it!

@RealShadowCaster that is an interesting concept, sadly I never had one so didn't notice the difference! Could be a good research session one afternoon to check it!

P#148239 2024-05-10 19:34

Very fun, added to my favorites.

P#148253 2024-05-10 23:16

[Please log in to post a comment]