Cart #hm118_bailout_v1-4 | 2024-04-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You have been summoned to make an appearance at court before noon and pay a fine for the crime of skateboarding. Except you don’t have any money and noon is only a couple of minutes away! Skateboard around the city gathering as much loose change as you can find and make it to the courthouse in time. Just don't get caught skating again by the cops!

Controls

Arrow Keys - Move
X - Get on and off your board
C - Drop a doughnut to distract the cops chasing you

P#146604 2024-04-14 10:51 ( Edited 2024-04-16 15:54)

I love every skate themed game here. You created a great tileset, very reminiscent of a 2D GTA. The gameloop is there, I was able to beat and enjoy it :) The collision can still be a bit funky, especially in tight places. But overall a good start! Is this "just" a jam submission or will you continue working on this? What are your plans?

P#146691 2024-04-15 13:19

Hey @taxicomics, thank you for playing! I'm glad you liked the concept and the art. I apologise for the clunky collision, I haven't had the chance to address it during the jam as I've ended up spending most of the weekend getting the AI working for the cops. (pathfinding algorithms are a pain!)

Anyway, I've uploaded the full game loop experience for the jam event now so please feel free to try it out and let me know what you think (ideally give it a rating on the ludum dare site too).

I may very well continue developing this further once the jam is over. However I have another pico-8 game releasing very soon which needs to be prioritised. It will all depend on the feedback I get from the jam reviewers as to whether or not to do more with it.

P#146703 2024-04-15 17:33

Oh man, this reminds me of Skate Boardin' for the Atari 2600 in a lot of good ways (I still have the cartridge and play it 35+ years later!). That game was a high score chase where you tried to grind stairs and skate through drain pipes as many as you could find before the timer ran out. I love short little time chase games like this. Very nice!

P#146743 2024-04-16 11:27

[Please log in to post a comment]