Cart #yutayufida-2 | 2024-04-16 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 4/16/24
Added sound effects! Thanks for your collection @packbat !

• Added sfx for various actions including sniffing, barking, bots and dog running.
  • And Win noises! and lose noises.

Side note: the last thing is the bots don't really have pathfinding but that's a bit beyond my ability for now <_< I fix that at some point but I'm effectively done and moving on to the next project.
Thanks for looking!

Update 4/10/24
Some quick changes

• Commented in the code to help clarify what everything does
  • Adjusted the menu screen's examples to help show what you're supposed to do
  • Added a little "shocked" animation to show when some actions happen i.e. bot stunned when the dog barks.

Hello! This is my first post here, decided to start learning what basic game dev looks like with the Picotron's first public release.

This is a simple game I built to learn some of the basics of lua and Picotron. I'm not a complete novice to coding but my experiences prior to this were in the form of simple bash scripts and some (very) minor source code editing on my linux boxes.

I'd love some criticism and feedback, specifically on the coding side but any input is appreciated! Tried to keep the code side sane but like I said, this is my first real attempt. Also if you run into any weird bugs please let me know.
-There's a few quirks because of how the sprites starting locations are determined.
-The blue robots also get stuck on the boxes often. Already got two on the check list for next time.

... Also there's no sound yet. I haven't quite figured out how to work the SFX editor <_<

Thanks for looking!

P#146253 2024-04-10 07:21 ( Edited 2024-04-16 06:56)

This is much better quality than the first game I ever made, and I had a proper game engine doing all the hard bits for me!

Generally, I find that if the code works, and you have a playable game at the end of it, then it's good enough :P

An area to improve might be commenting your code a bit more - sometimes something that seems simple to you, isn't to others or yourself when you come back to look at it in a few months time, so the more clues you leave behind, the better!
It's not necessary to comment every line, but putting a comment at the top of your functions to describe what they are meant to do can be very helpful :)

Can't wait to see what else you make :D

P#146299 2024-04-10 17:23

Thank you! I updated the cart real quick to add some comments, it is easy to forget it's not always clear what all those variables and functions mean.
I also adjusted the on screen tutorial at a friend's suggestion just to make it clear what you're supposed to do. I'm a fan of less wordy tutorials but pictures aren't always clear.

P#146319 2024-04-10 19:46

Thanks for sharing! I'm in a similar boat knowing some other types of programming, and this is helpful to look at. BTW I write tons of comments now even on my own personal code, and have never regretted it :)

P#146321 2024-04-10 21:23

[Please log in to post a comment]