cast:

• change dimension of userdata buffer for 2d operations
buffer=userdata("u8",4096)
-- get a 8x8 sprite out of it
sprite=cast(buffer,"u8",8,8,1040)

note: not sure how GC can track these chunks - ok to have that as weak references only.

• matmul with stride
    align with other userdata operations

• all ops to allow for source index
    use case: array of vectors referenced by index
big_array=userdata(‘f64’,4,500)
….
indices = userdata(‘i32’, 4)
indices:set(0, 3,89,0,75)
out=big_array:matmul(m, indices)
  • min/max
    note: can be done with sort (but overkill)

• dot:
    cannot operate on partial userdata
P#146151 2024-04-09 11:13

A few others:

• Index by userdata. Perhaps something like:
    indices=userdata("i32",480,270)
    indices:set(...)
    values=lut:get(indices)  -- values is a userdata with shape of indices but values from lut
  • Fast small 2D convolutions - so many interesting things need a Laplacian, but you have to hand-roll the setup right now. (Would also be interesting in combination with a 3D WxHxC userdata type)
  • :convert() to/from f64
  • Fast shift operations. Either this or f64 conversion could fill somewhat the same role: fast math with fast conversion to blit-able buffers
  • abs, sqrt, trig - in about that priority order. abs is emulatable for the integer types with arithmetic shifts plus existing ops, I believe. For sqrt, axis-wise magnitude or distance could also work.
  • For min/max, all of the following are interesting: element-wise binop, axis-wise unary op, and unary op producing a scalar. But the first is mostly what I've been looking for. One possible alternative for the binary form would be comparison binops (:gt() etc.) along with something like numpy.where(). And for the unary forms - returning both values and their indices would be useful. The binop version would be useful for clamping indices for sampling/interpolation/LUT type use cases.
  • Support three-operand form of userdata ops where u0 != u2 (unclear whether the current state is a bug)
  • Allow matmul2d and matmul3d to treat the LHS as a stack of vectors, where extra elements are ignored, but all vectors are transformed. (In contrast to current behavior of only using upper-left block.)
  • matmul for integer types
P#146194 2024-04-09 19:18

[Please log in to post a comment]