A game I started in 2021. My second pico8 game.

Despite popular belief, slimer CAN jump.

Cart #slimer-1 | 2024-02-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#141617 2024-02-18 04:52

Great Game,
I love the small animations for the slime and the game generally felt very stable, good job.
But I do thing there is alot of potential for polish in the game, adding polish like particles, more animations and a bigger set of tiles would really help to the already good gameplay.
also I feel like there where too many mechanics introduced too fast.
The levels got very hard after the ones that teach you new things.
I got stuck at this level:

Im sorry i did not get very far :(
But looking at it as a whole game it was nice, good job :)

P#141628 2024-02-18 17:15

Took roughly 2 hours to beat. There were times I found this exceedingly frustrating. Especially playing without breaks. That said, despite some jank and a few physics choices (?) that I think led to unfair death, this game is by and large the right type of challenge. It is Pico 8 - screens are limited. You spend ten seconds in the kiddy pool and the moment you've even started to understand what water is you're thrown into the Atlantic Ocean with a lightning-infused harpoon and told to kill Jaws. It's brutal. It can be tremendously, tremendously frustrating - but like all the "good hard" games, the satisfaction reliably outweighs the annoyance and disappointment.

I felt true relief and pride with myself upon clearing the last screen. And there are some moments and levels that show true game design brilliance. There's some clear homages to Celeste, but in the best ways possible - the movement tech is excellent and the way the game plays and the obstacles to overcome are blisteringly unique. If you like platformers, especially Celeste, and don't mind your games on the masochistic side, this is an excellent platformer.

Great concepts that rarely overstay their welcome, an excellent movement system that is memorable enough I doubt I will ever forget it and is in so many ways completely distinct from any other movement system I've encountered. It's far from perfect. And you can say what you want about the art and music and the bugs, but to me, for a Pico 8 game, it gave me the satisfaction and giddiness of overcoming that I expect from the best of Fromsoftware Bosses.

This feels like it could've been a Celeste B-side in another world and I think that's a tremendous compliment. Great game overall. Would play more screens if they existed.

P#141639 2024-02-19 03:09 ( Edited 2024-02-19 03:34)

I liked the difficulty ramp on this game-- as soon as you learn the mechanic, you get to use in a challenging and puzzling way. The game felt pretty stiff (not necessarily bad), but I was able to make steady progress on each screen and the obstacles managed to vary just enough to keep it interesting. Overall, it took me 5109 seconds to beat, roughly similar to dekekaaaaavv's time. I haven't played Celeste or any Souls games, but I've played some puzzle games and this game felt like a good combination of those situations with the execution of a tough platformer. I didn't feel massive waves of pride or anything, but I'm usually not that reactive; I mostly felt a steady determination to press on and see what was next, which was enough. This does a lot with a minimum of game elements. The amount of effort put into this game only really shines in its mechanical design, but it shines pretty well.

P#141640 2024-02-19 04:43

Can someone show me the solution to the screen above ?

P#141641 2024-02-19 05:32

Here is the solution to the above screen (spoilers I guess...?):
1) jump to the right, shoot downwards to slime the below platform, and bounce off of the slime you just placed to get back
2) slime the wall to your left
3) do an upwards walljump off the wall, bouncing off of the slime you placed on the floor
4) right when you bounce off of the floor slime, shoot to the left to give yourself a bunch of rightwards momentum

P#141652 2024-02-19 15:27 ( Edited 2024-02-19 15:27)

[Please log in to post a comment]