This is my entry for LOWREZJAM 2021, still incomplete and it will be mostly a POC of a complete game.

Cart #golden_star_jam-2 | 2021-08-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The game is a tribute to the Natsume's SNES classic "Wild Guns" and is inspired by the gameplay in that game.

In "Golden Star Sheriff" as the new sheriff in Dodge City your duty is to chase and get rid of a big band of thieves that have taken over the city and it's sorrounding areas.

Current state of the game (JAM Version) is going to be a tweaked version of the full game as there's been not enough time to have multiple levels in place, so it will take place only in the first level, Dodge City streets, chasing for "Perro Loco", the lowest ranking bandit chief in the band. The game is tweaked so you can play several times the phase with increased odds rather than actually advancing phases...

Gameplay:

Move with cursor keys, shoot with X and roll with Z or C while moving left or right. A gamepad is highly recommended for this game.

While pressing the fire button you will enter "free aim" mode and will hold your position while sending out a barriage of bullets!

When you find yourself in a tight spot, roll out of danger... bullets won't be able to catch you while rolling! But... be very cautions as rolling is a reflex action and you cannot control where you will be landing!

Note: The code just grew dirtier and messier the closer to the submission date... plenty of junk both in code and the cart (sprites, sound and such)... also it is my usual convoluted extreme OOP approach, you have been warned ;)

CHANGELOG:

Moved Health icon from a red cross to a heart, complying to Red Cross mandates
Adjusted targetting speed, player bullet speed and power-ups bonuses to balance things up a bit
Implemented rolling coyote time to facilitate rolling/dodge activation

Fixed a bug that was not updating Z for the bandits and they ended up incorrectly sorted at drawing time, also changed the health power-up icon to comply to Red Cross restrictions prohibiting red crosses depiction for this kind of stuff, not it is a nice heart

P#95998 2021-08-14 15:36 ( Edited 2021-08-22 09:23)

This is so much fun. Perro Loco got me at the end of wave 3 but it was close :)

P#96050 2021-08-15 16:47

That was really fun! See if you can beat my highscore!

P#96064 2021-08-15 20:44

Thnx for playing guys! you have 15 waves in this version, post-jam I am not sure if i will come back to the original game idea as this wave mode seems to be so successful ;)

P#96065 2021-08-15 20:54

Excellent!

P#96116 2021-08-16 20:25

Thnx @freds72, glad you liked it! Means a lot someone who brings most of the jaw-breakers qualify this thing as excellent ;) A suggestion: don't look at the code XD I know you're this kind of guy but that thing got messy at the end with the rush of jam submissions due date and it's heavy on _env, __call and all that black magic stuff

P#96117 2021-08-16 20:29

nah - I won't suggest to use mid instead of clamp or that your class creation could be factored into something like:

function new_class(t,parent)
 return setmetatable(t,__index=parent or _ENV)
end
player=new_class{x=0,y=1,die=false}

to save some tokens
:]
(tbh the _env trick is pretty neat, need to see how it fits into my coding style)

P#96120 2021-08-16 21:35 ( Edited 2021-08-16 21:35)

Damn it, you did it @freds72! :P MID is this function I always forget is already there... as for the factoring of class creation you are right, some tokens that can be scrapped there, but I had not got to the point of needing to fight for tokens yet.

metatables are a very powerful tool, a good handling of index and call with also some abuse of _env (even poiting to something different than "self") really reduce token consumption a lot... kind of reminds me with <obj> ... end constructs

This cart is pointing rapidly to multi-cart... 1 cart for the title, transition, settings and maybe some targetting training and another for the in-game part of it (and maybe a few more for data for different levels/enemies, music and such). The 64x64 resolution works quite well visually and in terms of performance (cpu usage is ridiculous, stays under 30% at 60 fps even on the heaviest parts), but makes text display more complex (thinking on how to solve that for the settings part, but i guess it will need to go to a slider or something in that line)

P#96131 2021-08-17 05:29

[Please log in to post a comment]