Cart #picoguessr-1 | 2021-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hey Guys !

This is my first pico-8 game (and my first finished game in general).
PicoGuessr is highly inspired from the gameplay of the famous GeoGuessr.

In a nutshell: you are in a 3D maze and you have to find your starting position on the map.

Controls: move with the arrow keys. At any time you can teleport to your starting spot using [x]. And [o] let you switch between the 3D view and the map.

It's not that easy if you don't look carefully ;)

Enjoy,
Koxinga

EDIT : Thank you for the feedback. Here is a new version with some corrections (in the UI mainly).
Changelog :

• new textures for the wood walls
  • map background color changed
  • walls not selectable (there is a hint saying "This is a wall" and a sound is played)
  • added a compass in easy and medium modes
  • menu items to "quick restart" and "back to title"
  • you can choose to see the solution after you lose
  • various sound effects
P#93081 2021-06-05 23:15 ( Edited 2021-06-09 01:54)

Hum... I don't see the cartridge. Did I do something wrong ?

P#93084 2021-06-05 23:20

I think if I remember correctly, uploading the cartridge to the forum and inserting the cartridge into the post are separate operations - if you edit the OP and click "Add Cartridge" and within that "Select from Uploads", does it show up with a "Select" button next to it?

P#93089 2021-06-05 23:57

Thanks @packbat, I just forgot to validate the upload :D

P#93092 2021-06-06 00:44

Aha! Glad you could sort it out!

P#93109 2021-06-06 14:54

Guys, can I have some feedback about the game ? What are the things that I should improve for my future games ?

For example, I wasn't really convince with my UI (I wasn't sure if I needed to print the controls, how to make the time decrease appear, ...). I need an external opinion on this :)

Additionally, is the difficulty level ok ?

P#93117 2021-06-06 22:23

Cool concept! I like the graphics, and the sfx/music is nice too although it does get a tad repetitive.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out what was going on. There were a couple points of confusion that would be helpful to address.

(1) The first one is that I didn't realize at first that the cursor on the map doesn't correspond to your actual location. It's just a cursor for submitting a guess. A bit more explanation there might be nice.

(2) The second one is that I was misunderstanding the map as a whole. Since the tan color of the paths you can walk on is the same as the background of the map, I thought that the paths on the map were the green/brown/grey tiles. This was exacerbated by the fact that you can submit a guess on one of the wall tiles even though I'm assuming those are just always going to be wrong. Maybe making the path tiles on the map dark blue (or some other color) instead of tan would be helpful?

Another thing that would help communicate the meaning of the map was if you couldn't place the cursor on the wall tiles at all, and instead the cursor would just jump to the next walkable tile. In fact, the cursor starts on a wall tile, which coupled with #1 made me think I was actually standing on the green/grey/brown tiles.

(3) The shading on some of the walls makes it a bit hard to figure out which tiles correspond to which colors. There's no shading on the rest of the scene, on the floors, etc. so IMO it doesn't help it look more realistic or anything. Instead, it just made me think for a while that there were 2x as many types of walls as there actually were. I think it might be best to just remove the shading entirely.

Difficulty: Once I figured out how to play the game, I thought the difficulty on easy mode was about right! It does seem a bit harsh that on medium you instantly remove all the colors from the map. Maybe removing only some of the colors would be easier.

Another thing you might consider adding to easy mode is a compass so you can see which way is N/E/S/W in 3d and have it correspond to the map.

Last thing I'd like to see is a bit more feedback other than right/wrong when you submit a guess. Just a hint like "2 squares away!" or "Not even close!" would be helpful.

Anyways, good job overall and I hope to see the game get a bit more attention!

P#93163 2021-06-07 18:44 ( Edited 2021-06-07 18:45)

ya I agree with the comment above me with #2,
I though the tan was the walls and the colors were just the tiles I was in with corasonding walls,
But once I figured out I had a fun time, nice work

P#93164 2021-06-07 18:56

Thanks guys, I'll make some changes.

BTW, how can I post a new version that would replace this one in the bbs ?

@japhib, about your points :
(1) I could add mouse support to solve this but I don't want the game to more than the two buttons, so I won't. I'll try to find another way.
(2) about the confusion between walls and paths on the map, it seems that many (every?) people thought like you. I will change the background color or the walkable tiles color and make the wall non selectable.
(3) about the shading... It's meant to help find the north because the light always comes from the same direction ;)
Maybe I could change the textures to be less ugly :D

About the difficulty. I think the compass is a really good idea, I'll add it in easy mode and remove either the compass or the colors in medium so that there isn't a huge gap between the two modes.

And finally, concerning the feedback, I'll think about adding something at the end (I don't want to add more clues during the game)

P#93193 2021-06-08 12:46

Sounds good! I think #1 was just me being dumb so I don’t mind if you don’t make that change. And that’s cool about the shading, in that case definitely leave it in! If you want to make more subtle differences between different shades of brown, you can try using pico8’s “hidden” palette. See here for more info: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38565

P#93201 2021-06-08 14:38

Ok, I updated the cart thank to your feedback (and to reddit). Tell me what you think.

Changelog :

• new textures for the wood walls
  • map background color changed
  • walls not selectable (there is a hint saying "This is a wall" and a sound is played)
  • added a compass in easy and medium modes
  • menu items to "quick restart" and "back to title"
  • you can choose to see the solution after you lose
  • various sound effects

@japhib : I knew about the color palette, but I didn't want to use it ;)

P#93220 2021-06-09 00:01 ( Edited 2021-06-09 01:54)

[Please log in to post a comment]