A true local-multiplayer Tetris game, where all players coordinate in the same board to make lines together while avoiding crashing into each other.
- Similar rules as Tetris classic.
- All players move down at the same time, when the top bar reaches the end.
- Dropping a piece on top of another player will get that piece stuck.
- Coordinate and make lines together!
Players 1 and 2 can play with keyboard, but playing with 4 players requires 4 gamepads.
Keyboard Player 1:
- Move: Arrow Keys
- Move down: Arrow down
- Drop piece: Arrow up
- Rotate Clockwise: Z / N
- Rotate Counterclockwise: X / M
- Pause: Enter key
Keyboard Player 2:
- Move: S F
- Move down: D
- Drop piece: E
- Rotate Clockwise: Q
- Rotate Counterclockwise: W / TAB
- Pause: P
- Move: Joystick / D-pad
- Move down: Down
- Drop piece: Up
- Rotate Clockwise: A button
- Rotate Counterclockwise: B button
- Pause: Menu button
The game is also available on albertnez.itch.io/cotris.
I did a quick work-around patch (v.3) to allow the system pause menu to be used, as some people were having trouble getting stuck in splore. Sorry to clobber your nice pause menu! It means there's no way to return to main menu, but I think most PICO-8 users are happy to reset to do that.
This is partially a bug in PICO-8; it should really allow ESC to force the system menu, but also some players don't have a keyboard when playing via splore. There is also the option to hold down pause for a second, but not everyone knows to do that.
Anyway, great cart -- thanks for posting!
Thanks for reporting the issue, and apologies for the inconvenience. I understand that for BBS/Splore it's important to keep the consistent behavior. Also thanks zep for the quick fix (I was surprised to see this update).
I actually just made another update to allow the Pico8 menu (on BBS and Splore) instead of hijacking it, while adding an option in the pico8 menu to return to the game's main menu.
I'd like to see if there's a way at runtime to check if a game is on BBS/Splore, since I'd like to keep the old
menu behavior when exporting the game on itch.io / native. I tried https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=92442#p, but didn't get a solution. Not sure if this is working as intended or a bug, but any needed further discussion can be followed there not to derail this more.
Just played this with my wife on a large screen and gamepads. It was a blast! But I have some feedback and we would love if you considered these changes:
- Remove the blocky thing at the top of the screen, that splits p1 and p2 spawning areas for blocks. That really annoyed us during play, as we often got stuck in that block and didn't notice it. If you want to make sure players don't hit each other when a block spawns, just make the blocks spawn at the far corner, instead of in the middle.
- Give us an option to play on an extended arena. I love the size of the 4 player arena and I'd love if we were able to play it with just 2 players as well.
- Increase the tempo of the music a bit. It is too slow, imo.
[Please log in to post a comment]