Hello, once again everyone! You may have seen my previous model of Link from Minish Cap.
Now I have tried to make Link of the GBC version!

I was trying to make it look like in the game the best I could. So instead of trying to go 3D immediatly - which ends up looking different -, I tried to put its 2D sprites together, and was playing around to see what looked best and experiment...

... so I ended "joining" the sprites together, so it would look better and more compact. Of course, this means the character willl always have 1 or 2 black lines over it the entire time... But still looks very cool!

And finally...

Cart #6508 | 2012-09-01 | Embed ▽ | No License

I ended up making it in actual 3D ! However, as you may see, the model that looks great in the editor, actually doesn't look so good when you play it (because of the game forced camera perspective) and I suck at building in perspectives... so yeah.

In this one I actually made his sword too, and added a funny sequence I'm sure you'll find amusing (specially if you get the reference xD)

P#6506 2012-09-01 08:05 ( Edited 2016-10-28 23:42)

Someone had TOO much time on their hands! XD Seriously though this is epic.

P#6515 2012-09-02 18:22 ( Edited 2012-09-02 22:22)

LOL it did took me a while to make it, even though I don't usually have that much free time. I simply love all the possibilities of this editor ^_^ I may even attempt to recreate an entire zelda world, one prop at a time :D
Thanks for the comment!

P#6517 2012-09-03 08:46 ( Edited 2012-09-03 12:46)

and... already built the trees, plants and some of the game tiles :P

P#6548 2012-09-04 18:33 ( Edited 2012-09-23 11:42)

OMG great, some time ago I started doing the nes link, but it looked quite bad even if it was almost pixel/voxel perfect

Cart #6552 | 2012-09-07 | Embed ▽ | No License

Edit: the trees and plants are awesome!

Is there a way to force ortographic view? Or we could work a lot on the models to make them look right even from the default camera angle (the "esc menu" camera angle zep put in the last update seems interesting for zelda-alike games)

P#6553 2012-09-06 21:17 ( Edited 2012-09-07 01:26)

Ahah thanks ^_^

yeah, i had the same problem too. I tried making before an exact replica (except in 3D) of the game sprite for the Minish Cap version, but it turned out not looking that good at an angle. That's why I started this one by doing the 2D sprites to see how would it look like.

But I really wanted 3D, and I did really try to build them on that orthographic view, believe me... But I really sucked at it, especially because the voxels will also be at angle from each other (the grid is skewed) so we cannot land the voxels exactly were we want. I might make it one day thought; we can only get better at this :)

I really like your link version, even though I only played the gameboy ones, that one is definitly recognizable, and the set too! You nailed it!

P#6556 2012-09-07 09:01 ( Edited 2012-09-07 13:01)

Hello, everybody!
Another update:

In this upload I made some more objects that allowed me to recreate the first "screen" of the Koholint Island from LoZ: Link's Awakening DX, as you can see (I forgot the bridge, I know - I'll put it in next time).

I also revamped the previous "tiles":
-changed all tiles to be 16x16, like in the original gbc game, instead of 15x15 like I did at first;
-changed the color of the dirt;
-the color of the plants;
-redone the tall grass so it looks better, it's easier to cut, and you can fall through it;
-retouched the trees' roots and width.

Took me a few hours , but I really like the end result on those walls and background :)
Hope you enjoy!

P.S: Meanwhile I happened to have found a news article about someone who already had a similar idea to redo this game in 3D too. It looks awesome!

P#6571 2012-09-14 21:00 ( Edited 2012-09-23 11:44)

This is amazing! The zelda feel on Voxatron is awesome! Great work!

A friend showed me Voxatron for the first time yesterday, and the reason I bought it was because I saw this Zelda-remake.

I have many projects I'm currently undertaking. But perhaps on the down-time I could assist some. It would be much easier to do this if there was a way to script the pieces while reading from that original png you posted of the map.

Then again, brute force always seems quite effective.

P#6607 2012-09-21 13:21 ( Edited 2012-09-21 17:21)

Wow! Really? Thanks ^_^

It makes me really happy my level motivated you to buy this great game! I'm flattered!

Knowing that I'm helping increase the funding and popularity of this game, is the best news I could get! I can't wait for Voxatron to have a really large community, so more ideas and levels pop up everyday. The more, the merrier!

I've been a little bit busy lately, but I'll be adding rooms little by little, and hopefully I may add them faster later.

Welcome to Voxatron! [o _ o]/

P#6614 2012-09-22 21:42 ( Edited 2012-09-23 01:42)

Well, I just happened to be finishing another room, so here you have it:

Besides the new room, I also made some other changes:

• made Link have the sword by default, instead of having to pick up a sword of eternity at start (so no distracting sounds and text anymore);
  • changed the size of the rooms, in order to fit the same amount of "tiles" that each screen has in the original game;
  • changed the position of the first room tiles, which were too far away;
  • added a black strip to the very bottom of the screen, so it doesn't show tiles that shouldn't be seen;
  • added the missing bridge, which connects to the next room;
  • changed the position of the background, so it looks better;
  • retouched the position of the "rail" tiles, so they stick closer to the tiles next to them.

In the future I won't be posting for every single room I make, of course. Otherwise there would be like 256 posts here... Making rooms will also become faster, as I build more and more of the "tiles".

P#6617 2012-09-23 07:12 ( Edited 2012-09-30 23:21)

P.S: As you may or may not know, posting levels here in the thread with that code [#12345# ] is what makes it show on the "BBS levels" list in-game.
But since I don't want to be spamming the list in-game with several versions of the same level, I changed the previous posts on this thread to show the older versions as "images" instead of "levels".

You can still download the images themselves and use them to play the old versions if you really want (since they still hold the game data), they just won't show automatically in-game.

P#6618 2012-09-23 08:07 ( Edited 2012-09-23 12:07)

'llo there, forum!

Here is this week's update:

Cart #6652 | 2012-09-30 | Embed ▽ | No License

As you may notice, I made several more rooms this time, ending with the epic Wind Fish's Egg!
This last screeen actually had to be divided into two, due to voxatron's height limit... they don't call them "Tal Tal Heights" for nothing!

I also revamped the tiles of the walls with railing, so they are rounder and resemble the ones in the game better. And made a proper "hole" tile to that teleporter-thingy on the second screen.

For now I will be making the rooms, following the order of left-to-right and top-to-bottom. So while playing the incomplete map, you'll have to navigate in that order to see the rooms too. When the rooms do connect I'll add the invisible green door, otherwise you'll have the rainbow-floaty-one to progress.

Hope you like it!

P.S: just a detail, but I decided to give some proper sequence to the "versions" according to the map. Now they follow the rule of version "xx.yy", where "xx" stands for the line and "yy" for the column of the last screen that was built. So this one is v1.07 (1st line, 7th screen)

P#6653 2012-09-30 19:19 ( Edited 2012-09-30 23:22)

This is just plain amazing... but is there really any hope to see a Voxatron Zelda in the (near) future? I mean, the graphics are one part, the game mechanics, another...

P#6730 2012-10-18 03:28 ( Edited 2012-10-18 07:28)

Well, I'm going for it one thing at a time. My first objective was to completely rebuild the island overworld (that means excluding caves, dungeons, etc) in voxatron , which is already a massive task by itself. And, of course I'll still make the right doors between each room.

I don't believe I'll ever get to do the dungeons/caves, but in the possible scenario that I will, I already have found a handy clickable map that lets me navigate all the game rooms.

The game mechanics is entirely another story... It is impossible to code the game to work exactly as the original game (the same enemy behaviors, the same sequences, story events, etc...) as it is right now. It might be possible with future voxatron updates, but it will most certainly be very complex, or require scripting skills I do not have.

If I ever get to this stage, what I believe I'll do is change the game mechanics to be a lot simpler, with simple objectives and actions to accomplish, while trying to leave the story intact. I might also leave another version with no gameplay at all, just the sets, and trust someone else with the coding skills to finish it.

P.S: As of now, I must say I temporarily stopped working on the map as you may have noticed, since I've been busy the last few weeks helping around the house, due to an unexpected accident. I hope to be back soon.

P#6732 2012-10-19 06:58 ( Edited 2012-10-19 10:58)

wow.... hard to believe it has already been almost a year since that last post.

My life took a 180 degree turn. My parents had an unexpected accident, and I helped around the house till my mother recovered, a few weeks later I finally got a job after many months sending CVs, developed a project for a major retailer till now, met tons of new people, learned so much, and so much more...

I basically lost track of this project. Also my attention was diverted to some other games (Why are you so addicting, humble bundle, why?)

I have been following the development of the game from time to time, but never got around to continue the remake. I tried to but had no luck understanding how to use the new features...
I'll have to save some more time to learn, and maybe have another go some other time.

Maybe on my vacations :) who knows

P#7811 2013-09-09 20:46 ( Edited 2013-09-10 00:46)

Sorry for your loss. Excited to see Zelda on Voxatron :)

P#7812 2013-09-10 20:35 ( Edited 2013-09-11 00:35)

Loss? Hell, no! My parents are fine, man! Jesus! xD

I just never picked up voxatron again because I got a job right after that.

P#7822 2013-09-15 06:59 ( Edited 2013-09-15 10:59)

Holy shit...
For some odd reason I just remembered voxatron out of the blue, and came here to check my last posts...
And, to my surprise, it has been almost exactly 1 YEAR since my last post! Just off by a week...
And now that i really look at it, it has been a year too since the post before that.
Wow... I really lost track of this

P#9067 2014-09-22 20:21 ( Edited 2014-09-23 00:21)

I have less free time in my life. It gets shorter by the month.
Guess this thing will never see the light of day.
I remember being so hyped making these levels...seems like a lifetime ago
such a shame

P#9068 2014-09-22 20:24 ( Edited 2014-09-23 00:24)

(guess it will be another year, until i remember to set foot in here again :P lol)

BTW, wasn't voxatron supposed to have been kickstarted like eons ago? What happened?
Progression seems really slow over here. Seem like I wasn't the only one xD

P#9069 2014-09-22 20:29 ( Edited 2014-09-23 00:29)

just remembered to come here again, after more than 2 years again...

Why does time go by so fast?

Voxatron is taking it's time to develop, though. Still not 1.0.

Well, at least Zep does keep a steady pace, no matter how long it takes.
While I've done a complete halt 4 years ago xD

I wonder If people would all be playing my complete Zelda world by now, if I had not got this job in retail.

Gotta leave a post-it here somewhere to remember to get back to this when I get a little spare time :)

P#31694 2016-10-24 20:32 ( Edited 2016-10-25 00:32)

Really quite good ! Imagine your skillz in PICO though. I think you'd be nothing short of awesome with your patience and ability, JK !

P#31696 2016-10-24 21:23 ( Edited 2016-10-25 01:23)

(Wow! A comment? here? After all these years xD)

Thanks! I was really into it back in the day :)

I remember when PICO was still just in development.
Never really downloaded it even, let alone play it. But I might have a go at it one day!
It really does fit the style I was aiming with this thread here, since it is 2D.

Thanks for the idea!

P#31973 2016-10-28 19:42 ( Edited 2016-10-28 23:42)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 19:17:50 | 0.017s | Q:46