This is an early version of my first pico-8 game, happy to hear your thoughts so far !
It's an adaptation of the pen&paper game know as "racetrack", a turn based race game played on grid paper.
On each turn, you can adapt speed and direction by one tile. It feels surprisingly realistic.
If you get out of track, you must drive back to the last point on road to continue the race, making you loose precious seconds. Make sure to break in time !!
- [x] 2 tracks (just one is actually nice so far)
- [x] 1 or 2 players
- [x] real time mode (you have a very limited time to make your move)
- [x] AAA graphics and immersive gameplay
Planned features :
- [x] high scores
- [ ] tournament (you earn points for each race)
- [ ] more tracks
- [x] instant replay at the end of the race showing it in real time
- [ ] IA to compete against
- [ ] music (help welcome as I don't know anything about music)
- [ ] steam achievements (just joking)
Man, this is a game that I think I will have a lot of fun, well, you wouldn't really call it speedrunning, would you, but trying to find the fastest line across a track. It didn't take long for me to get into, and I was hooked on the gameplay loop. I've never heard of this game before, so thank you for introducing it to me! I will be watching this thread closely.
Hey that brings me back!
I remember counting turns and mentally "interpolate" to know if you crashed in another car or if that was a close call! Also I remember playing on white paper with a ruler and a compass (could be an "analog" mode?). Also we had oil spills (you went straight on), and jumps (you had to land on track on next turn or crash). All the discussion and cheating, good times :D
The IA should be interesting to code, the replay will be awesome to watch. This will need random tracks!
Great idea, kudos!
[Please log in to post a comment]