this is old, click here to check out the finished version!

here is my game where you play as a very red (or blue or green or yellow or orange) man who cant walk very well but he can grip like nobodys business.

if you want to try out what i have, feedback would be appreciated. mostly just trying to get fresh opinions on the feel of the movement and the level designs, but if you want to peek around and tell me how horrible my code is, feel free to do that too

CONTROLS

O/X: reach out a hand and grab
left/right: rotate aim angle
down (hold): aiming mode; reach without grabbing
up: hop

update: fixed some bugs, added "warning sign" to the difficult shortcut routes, added new end screen, made player physics less bouncy to avoid unfair deaths, softened some difficulty spikes with extra checkpoints, made checkpoints refresh when you acquire keys, new titlescreen, other improvements

Cart #untitled_climber-33 | 2021-01-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

i've been working pretty much full-time the past month or so on this little game, so if you liked it, feel free to toss some spare change to my paypal, and later it will be on itch.io (when i finally finish the damn thing). The pico-8 version is more or less just a demo of what I want to make into a "full game" down the line, and if things go well with this one I'll be working on that ASAP!

old versions:

update: changed title screen music, MORE LEVELS!!!!, speedrun timer, added AIMING MODE (hold down to not grab when reaching), other minor controls changes (fixes hopefully?)
Cart #untitled_climber-17 | 2021-01-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

update: new title screen, option for reverse (mobile) controls and option for grabs hold/toggle, other minor changes.

Cart #untitled_climber-10 | 2021-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

update: fixed checkpoints, hopefully fixed camera-related crash, new checkpoint effects, grabbing a key will show you the door it unlocks, and other minor improvements. coming soon: more levels, moving grabbable tiles, and a title screen. and then... 1.0 release???

Cart #untitled_climber-0 | 2021-01-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

update: checkpoints, deaths, new effects, a new screen and some very unfinished screens. getting closer to token limit...

Cart #gripman-13 | 2021-01-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

update: decreased reach when already grabbing with other hand, changed camera movement (now with new bugs!), better key/door effects when unlocked, small level changes

Cart #gripman-4 | 2021-01-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

update: changed the ungrabbable walls into more recognizably-not-grabbable ice blocks
[#gripman-3]

original

Cart #gripman-0 | 2021-01-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

*yes i know it is physically the other way around on your keyboard but i coded it like that so idc

P#86386 2021-01-12 03:28 ( Edited 2021-02-05 17:30)

This game is pretty great already! I hit a crash while trying to open the second gate, after getting the key. Was that the end of the demo?

My arms were clipping through the walls near the gate and actually managed to get the camera to pan to the area beyond it, before I got a grip on the handle. The game crashed immediately after I grabbed the second gate, though. I'm assuming the bug is related to that.

Outside of that, I enjoy the controls, and it reminds me of a couple party games that used twin-sticks and triggers in a similar way. The music is fantastic as well! I'm looking forward to the final release.

P#86521 2021-01-17 00:58

Oops, oh no! that's not the end. i really ought to test these updates better. I'm glad you enjoyed what you got to play!

that should be fixed now... hopefully. do note there are some almost completely empty levels that you have to try pretty hard to access as well as a couple unfinished levels leading up to the last key, and you'll know when you reach the end of the current iteration when you go into an infinite fall... lol... but i will take care of that as i go, and finish up all the levels! if anyone encounters any more crashes lemme know

P#86523 2021-01-17 04:27 ( Edited 2021-01-17 04:27)

the physics feel is nice!

I tried this on a gamepad-only setup and realized it's quite impractical to control on a normal PICO-8-esque gamepad where you just have face buttons which are pushed by a single thumb. It would probably be a good idea to include an option to change the grab controls to "push to toggle" rather than "hold"

P#86538 2021-01-17 17:21

good idea and it's something i've been considering. i'm worried, though, that it might affect the game balance too much. in any case i should at least try it out. thank you!

edit: toggle option has been added

P#86543 2021-01-17 21:51 ( Edited 2021-01-18 01:53)

new big update. game is almost complete, minus placeholder title/end screen and some placeholder graphics. please, tell me what you think of the new levels and such! also tell me if there are bugs!!

P#86758 2021-01-24 23:51

Hi,

New to "PICO-8" game dev.
This game is simply fantastic!
Very creative and works perfect from a technical standpoint!
Reminds me a little of classic NES "Bionic Commando".
Great work, looking forward to the finished game!

Jesse

P#87262 2021-02-05 16:38

hey, thanks! I'm glad you liked it. you should try the latest version here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41299

P#87265 2021-02-05 17:28

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 22:34:24 | 0.016s | Q:36