Cart #tmirobot_shobu-2 | 2020-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Pico8 implementation of the boardgame "Shōbu" by Manolis Vranas and Jamie Sajdak.

OVERVIEW
In Shōbu, the play area is divided into four boards. The goal of the game is to push all of your opponent's pieces off of any one of the four boards.

The two boards on your side of the play area are known as your HOME BOARDS.

YOUR TURN
On your turn, you must make two moves: first, a PASSIVE move, and then an ACTIVE move.

PASSIVE MOVE
For your PASSIVE move, you may only select a piece from one of your HOME BOARDS.

• You may move this piece up to 2 spaces in any direction.
  • During your PASSIVE move, you may NOT push any other pieces.

ACTIVE MOVE
For your ACTIVE move, you must repeat your PASSIVE move with one of your pieces on an OPPOSITE-COLORED board.

• During your ACTIVE move, you MAY push your opponent's pieces.
  • Pieces pushed off of the board are lost forever.

PAUSE MENU OPTIONS

• UNDO: Use the Undo menu to undo mistakes, or play the game backward or forward in its entirety.
  • TOGGLE LABELS: Show row/column labels for aiding in asynchronous play
  • INSTRUCTIONS: Full instructions with visual examples are included in the pause menu.
  • THEMES: Choose from a variety of visual themes for the board and pieces -- or build your own!
  • FORFEIT: Give up the current game.
P#85909 2020-12-29 23:16 ( Edited 2020-12-29 23:40)

The theme support is very extensive and impressive, I also like the in-game instructions. Do you plan on adding an AI player?

P#85912 2020-12-30 00:12 ( Edited 2020-12-30 00:13)

Thanks! I don't think I have the know-how (or tokens) for AI at this point though :D Maybe in the future! I'm sure there's a ton of token-recovery I could do, as I did this project pretty fast and loose.

P#85913 2020-12-30 01:57

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 00:44:29 | 0.010s | Q:19