I love the Pico8, but I have to admit I find the user interface for actually making stuff really hard to use, and the font went too far in trying to be small instead of easy on the eyes and readable.
And I was just wondering, in general, if there were any plans for a "Super" version of the Pico8, with a larger font, larger resolution, expanded colour palette, etc, and maybe some OOP stuff instead of being purely functional.

P#82772 2020-10-10 12:43

ermmm I don't feel that way but ok. I don't think there's plans for anything like that.

I should add that you can use external file editors to work in as well and in zep's talk about pico-8 everything from the text to the color palette was chosen to be that way.. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87jfTIWosBw)

P#82782 2020-10-10 20:05 ( Edited 2020-10-10 20:55)

I remember zep saying in that talk that he specifically thought through what a PICO-16 would be like in order to make sure he didn't make one, so I think it's very unlikely that something like that would be made after all.

I don't really know the world of fantasy consoles well enough to suggest anywhere to look for something in that realm - this is a big list of fantasy consoles/computers, but looking through it, I get the sense that "like PICO-8 but with more/different capabilities" fantasy consoles are most of them. There aren't a lot with the level of polish that PICO-8 has, either.

I have heard someone on here talk about specifically about using TIC-80 as something a little less restricted that they found satisfying - maybe that's a starting point? I bounced off of it for somewhat idiosyncratic reasons, but if it sounds good to you, it's worth a shot.

P#82784 2020-10-10 21:23

[Please log in to post a comment]