As more of a music tracker fan who just does covers, I posted my first (music cover) cart in the BBS just days ago which already got some praise from some members, thus marking a proper beginning of my presence. I can't properly program games for the time being but i already figured out how to post sfx embeds today, quite a great chance for me to post music without having to upload carts with boring text printed screens.

Yesterday i finished renditions of two music tracks from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (which i have never played but i did hear of Metal Gear a lot of times, yet i might eventually try the series when i will get the chance to get a Playstation Now subscription AND a better internet connection? honestly i haven't tried playstation now's cloud streaming.) which were done around a few hours for each one. I was able to complete Night Fall with every pattern but Theme of Solid Snake couldn't be done with every pattern due to SFX slots as when i went on to make the last patterns with reduced speed from the rest of the others (every pattern is around 6 SPD except the last ones are on 12 SPD, but i think i've still managed to make it). Also due to music length (like my Gunstar Heroes cover that unfortunately suffered the same fate as my recent cover) that covered up quickly with 6 SPD, Theme of Solid Snake is overall shorter in the PICO-8 version.

Doesn't mean i'll stop, it's still fun, but i kind of don't want to upload one cart at a time so i decided to make a BBS thread of all my covers so far. It's so faster when copying and pasting from PICO-8.

(13/08/2020) Last Party on the Moon:
[sfx]
Original from: Gunstar Heroes
Original composer: Norio Hanzawa
Frames used: 00-31 (32 frames)
SFX slots used: 64 (well damn!)
SFX instruments:

• 0: Kick-snare w/Lower Triangle
  • 1: Short pulse
  • 2: Short tilted saw lead
  • 3: Saw bass
  • 4: Loud kick
  • 5: Zip drum
  • 6: I don't remember what was this...

Note: Only covers the first half of the track. The intro is quite sloppy compared to the rest of the song (as if it sounded like an early PICO-8 track!)

(14/08/2020) Theme of Solid Snake:
[sfx]
Original from: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Original composer: Konami Kuheiha Club (there were a lot of composers for this game.)
Frames used: 00-55 (56 frames)
SFX slots used: 53
SFX instruments:

• 0: Kick
  • 1: Hi-hat
  • 2: Snare
  • 3: Tilted saw lead
  • 4: Deep saw bass
  • 5: Tom
  • 6: Tilted saw lead #2 (unused)
  • 7: Saw lead

Note: Several patterns are excluded due to limitations and patterns are less repetitive. The last patterns have a reduced SPD of 12 compared to the rest of the patterns' 6 SPD.

(14/08/2020) Night Fall:
[sfx]
Original composer: Konami Kuheiha Club
Frames used: 00-40 (41 frames)
SFX slots used: 55
SFX instruments:

• 0: Violin saw
  • 1: Piano
  • 2: Unused square

Note: Complete track.

P#80807 2020-08-15 10:43 ( Edited 2020-08-15 10:45)

impressive!
I am in a dire need for a music composer to close Virtua Racing for good - if you are interested, ping me on Discord/Twitter!

P#80813 2020-08-15 13:36

Or if you are up to contribute to FantasyTactics... Tracker music is not my thing and a couple of tracks would really be appreciated ;)

P#80815 2020-08-15 14:48

nah - too late @slainte - I was first to propose 😜

P#80817 2020-08-15 15:39

Damn it! ;)

P#80818 2020-08-15 15:41

@freds72 @slainte

Glad you liked it! The bad news is that i don't do commission work nor i know how to compose original music properly (at Battle of the Bits i did a lot of original short work but my work is pretty average i eventually had to stop when last year i wanted to minimize socializing, thus doing likely less stuff on the pc). I do this to waste my own time and post here just because i wanted some impressions, but i'm not being much of a talkative and i prefer not to interfere with collaborative efforts. :(

So while i was away i felt the need of doing more Metal Gear 2 music tracks just because two songs don't satisfy me enough. I really don't feel satisfied at all, i just want more from myself!

This next one (Zanzibar Breeze) is going to be left as unfinished once again due to limitations and yet i can't help further with trying to minimize as many patterns as possible, MG2's soundtrack is yet amazing it doesn't have a lot of repetitive patterns, making it quite of a huge challenge to have it covered entirely. Well, that's what i could do.

(15/08/2020) Zanzibar Breeze:
[sfx]
Original composer: Konami Kuheiha Club
Frames used: 00-17 (18 frames)
SFX slots used: 46
SFX instruments:

• 0: Pulse lead
  • 1: Pulse bass
  • 2: Closed hi-hat
  • 3: (Crappy) Hi-hat
  • 4: Snare
  • 5: Brass

Note: Like above, it's left unfinished due to limitations. The kicking drums through the half of the track aren't quite great as expected...

P#80821 2020-08-15 17:20

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:36:35 | 0.029s | Q:18