This is a work in progress. I think this iteration is a good 'vertical slice' of the gameplay. Any feedback is appreciated!

Cart #ganuyebema-0 | 2020-06-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#78643 2020-06-28 23:41

Nice, i feel as though the jumping is non-intuitive as if you stop pressing a direction mid jump, you will keep moving that way any way. Other than that, i like it!

P#78660 2020-06-29 12:49

@RaspberryPye Thanks for the feedback! I didn't want the player to stop in the air so that swinging from the rope would allow the player to maintain their momentum but I'm thinking I might need to rethink the feature.

P#78676 2020-06-29 18:37

I agree about the jumping. The fact that your jump momentum carries through 100% unless you press in the opposite direction makes the platforming a lot less intuitive. Maybe you could use an 'if' statement to treat momentum differently for swinging vs. jumping, or use a friction system for both? Also, it would help if you could add momentum to your swing by pressing left and right on the dpad, and/or get some extra height on release by using the jump button. Without either of these features, if you don't get quite enough momentum at the initial point of grappling, you have no other choice than just letting go and trying again.

Other than that, it looks good so far. I especially like the little animation when Jelpi does a faceplant. =).

P#78705 2020-06-30 15:14 ( Edited 2020-06-30 15:37)

I gave it two plays just now and I really like the ideas and the feel of the swinging!

I agree with the others about the jumping. I think a friction system would help greatly to make it feel more "right" when you jump. An alternate solution might be to simply set the air velocity to a percentage of the full movement speed when the player releases the button in the air (between 70% and 50% maybe?) during a jump only.

Also, I think a bit of leniency on the jump timing when walking off the edge of a platform ("coyote time") would go a long way. I don't know if it's just me, but I could swear that right-facing ledges have stricter timing to jump off than left (it feels like I sink diagonally through the edge of the platform before I reach the end)! Allowing the player to jump until just a few frames after leaving a platform helps a lot for making a game feel more responsive.

Also, a little idea: I think it would be good multifunctional design to communicate the range from which you can hook a lamp with the area around the lamp that is lit! Especially when you swing on it and the arc of your swing aligns perfectly with the edge of the lit area, whew! The range already lines up pretty well, but because the lit areas animate, I don't know if it was intentional on your end. They might have to not animate if they're a visual aid for the hook range.

P#78716 2020-06-30 18:55

Thanks a ton for your feedback!

@JadeLombax Yeah per the feedback here I'm thinking that I'll let the player stop in the air. I might just enable projectile motion if the player hasn't made a collision since they grappled. I would like to let the player add velocity on their swing but it's one of those things on the TODO list...

@Decidetto Adding some friction to the player while they are in the air seems like the right thing to do. Would definitely make the game more fun to play.
I checked and I think your right about collisions on the left/right side of the sprite. I'll need to make sure I got the math right for that.
The light is there to communicate the range that the player can jump from but having a static light on the map wasn't very visually appealing so I added that animation. I want to add a shade to the edge so that the animation plays within a static ring of light but that's also something that I have on the TODO list.

P#78769 2020-07-01 18:54

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 09:01:06 | 0.052s | Q:25