Cart #galaxycastleii1_1-0 | 2020-06-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OLDER VERSIONS:
Cart #galaxycastleii-0 | 2020-06-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Play as Ranger the Bounty Hunter and help King Wingarion save the four princesses from the terrible Lord Nimbus!

Ranger is a greedy man... Get the diamonds scattered around the game for some extra difficulty!

LEFT and RIGHT to move
Z to use power/interact
X and/or UP to "advance"
ENTER to pause and access the save game and reset data buttons.

This game started as a gift to my high school physics teacher back in early 2018. Every once in a while I would get in the mood and code a whole bunch of it. And now, it's finally done.

The first "Galaxy Castle" would be the actual physics project that started it all. It's in my WIP page, if you want to play a clunky first attempt at a platformer hahaha.

Hope you enjoy it!

And if you find any bugs, please let me know! Thanks :)

P#77619 2020-06-03 21:29 ( Edited 2020-06-04 14:08)

This game would be a lot more welcoming had it not a huge diffculty spike in 1-4.

P#77666 2020-06-04 13:40

@Mikel_Hofer48 Yeah, I 100% agree with you. I'm still learning a lot about difficulty curves in my level design, but after World 1, it gets much smoother. Thanks for playing!

P#77667 2020-06-04 13:49

@Mikel_Hofer48 I actually went and tinkered with the levels a bit. That has always bothered me but I've never redid the levels. Should be a little more welcoming, but still challenging! Thanks for the headsup :)

P#77669 2020-06-04 14:10

I like the game and I especially like how

you added new abilities over time,
but the game can be a little janky ( my game was super janky so I’m not saying that it’s as easy as changing a tiny thing. But if there’s one thing I would change it’s that I wish the time between you dieing and trying again was bigger, I kept dieing as soon as I spawned because I would run into a spike; then run off a ledge immediately after :p
IDK fun game though!

P#77680 2020-06-04 22:58

@SmellyFishstiks yeah, I would change that as well. Anoter kinda janky thing is the collision: it only checks the middle of the player on the y-axis, so you can fall from some blocks while you look like you're perfectly safe. But that collision check can help you in some levels too tho hahaha
Those are some of the things that I would implement in a next platformer for sure. Maybe this one even, in a next patch.
Thanks for playing!

P#77683 2020-06-05 00:07

@FlyingSmog No problem, Thanks for making the game!

P#77687 2020-06-05 07:37

I see you used mhugson's platforming enigne with 100 lines of code, but it is really bad for prescion platformers, see as to sometimes yo fall though ledges. Also it's probably a good idea to credit him.

P#77698 2020-06-05 14:59

@Mikel_Hofer48 I did, and it really isn't great for that, no. And I totally forgot to credit him! I'll try and make a patch at the end of the day and fix some stuff, including that.

P#77699 2020-06-05 15:21 ( Edited 2020-06-05 15:22)

This is a wicked cool game, nice effin' work!

P#77711 2020-06-05 17:25

Hey @lewsidboi thank you so much <3 Really glad you liked it!

P#77712 2020-06-05 18:13

your game has a fun look and feel! the platforming feels precise enough to make the necessary maneuvers while not demanding absolute pixel/frame perfect movement. that made the experience of getting into the game much more welcoming for me and let me know that any deaths i had while playing were my own fault.

though as you noted, the difficulty curve isn't entirely smooth. i played through your game 100% a few times to be sure and offer some fair thoughts on this.

i feel like world 3 and world 4 went more smoothly than the first two worlds. i kept thinking as i was playing that world 3 would be a good introduction to the game since i only had to worry about movement on one axis while springs provided a clear path to completing each stage. it let me focus on movement timing more, which is a key skill for every other challenge in the game. world 4, likewise, builds on this with a twist since now portals determine how and when i'd hit springs. i think you did a great job tying these two worlds together and introducing the mechanics that you managed with each.

now, world 1 and world 2 are still great for what they are. but each asked me for a lot more precise timing and input commands and it was definitely a steeper climb (especially world 2). sometimes a question i had in one stage would be answered in a later one. like one moment of confusion i had was in 2-4 with how to get the diamond there. 2-5 cleared that up actually! i didn't know i could use the impulse jump in mid-air after a drop until then! i reset my first time through just to go back and i found my understanding of world 2 was a bit better once i had that knowledge.

anyway, all that said, i'm not sure just switching the world order would be the way to go (how you introduce keys and exits in world 1 is very effective), but some tweaking could be interesting to try.

regardless, i completely understand if you'd rather not mess with what you've got. this game is still fun and very enjoyable as it is! like i said before, the feel of your game is very good. your music is superb and all the visual assets are unified in style and presentation. i particularly like the small cutscenes between each world where each princess reclaims her item and gives a new one. that's a nice way to tie narrative, theme, and a shift in mechanics with some flow!

anyway, thank you for putting this together. i had a lot of fun with it and i'm glad you shared this! good work!

P#77784 2020-06-08 11:24

@anydayhappyday I really have no words to tell you how much this means to me :) Thank you so much for playing, beating the game more than once, and really deepdiving in this comment! It's the greatest feedback there can be <3

World 3 and 4 are indeed a lot smoother. World 1 was made in early 2018 based on the late 2017 project. World 2 was made in early to mid 2019 after being a good while that I didn't touch the game. World 3 started in late 2019 and ended in March 2020, while World 4 I made entirely in May. I feel like 3 and 4 were smoother simply because my understanding of game design grew a lot over the years,not to mention the understanding of creating levels and mechanics for a precision platformer.

About the 2-4 and 2-5, I never really thought about that! That's a much easier fix, moving the two levels, and looks like it would help the player a bunch.

But yeah, it wouldn't be as easy as switching the worlds, obviously. The hat "joke" (in all these super tech thingies, a princess gives you a fez) would be ruined hahaha and the mechanics would have to be implemented in a whole different order. Although some tweaking would be really interesting, yes! I'll see what I can do for sure.

Glad you liked the cutscenes :) hahaha I in fact really needed a way to tie it all together and it was a natural fit.

And thank YOU for the time to play and give your thoughts about it. It really helps me grow, and really made my day <3 Hope you're well!

P#77788 2020-06-08 14:59

hi. great game. i think level 1-5 have a bug. kills me but i don't touch any spikes!

P#77859 2020-06-09 18:58

Hey @duchonic, sorry for taking so long! Very unlikely that only one level has a bug. The spikes have a really unforgiving hitbox because of the way this collision engine works. It's probably that.

Thanks for playing!

P#77959 2020-06-11 21:18

Is there a galaxy castles 1

P#94779 2021-07-13 05:10

@sleepypanda I talk about it in the description :) Thanks for playing!

P#94785 2021-07-13 11:30

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 14:24:59 | 0.102s | Q:47