I just started my Pico-8 journey, and I'm feeling my way around by reimplmeenting a lot of goofy graphics programs I've done in a ton of frameworks.

One thing I find I'm doing a lot is writing out a line that just tests, "Do I know how to call this thing", then fudging it towards more of what I want. A lot of times it seems the best way to do that is to duplicate the line, then edit that duplicate so I can use the other line as a reference.

But I don't see a quick way to delete a whole line in the editor. Part of the problem is I'm usally on a mac, so I'm not always sure my Command+whatever keystrokes map well to Ctrl+whatever keystrokes.

Is there a "delete line" editor shortcut? If not, what do you do if you need to delete a whole line?

P#73985 2020-03-16 15:03

shift+end then delete?
(not a shortcut but fast enough :)

P#73992 2020-03-16 20:38

My muscle memory has been trained by many different OSes and editors that all have varying degrees of support for navigation to do the following:

End, Right, Shift+Up, Del

Works in pretty much every editor known to human beings. Except vi. But only aliens use vi. ;)

P#73995 2020-03-16 22:00

The problem is "End" isn't a key on Macbook keyboards and IIRC it doesn't even do what you'd expect when it's there.

The Mac equivalent is Command-Right Arrow, but Pico-8 interprets that as moving around by word. It's a wonky side effect of mapping Command to Ctrl, but if they made me use Ctrl that'd get in the way of some other things so I don't blame them. (Ctrl+Right Arrow moves through virtual desktops, which are vital on a tiny screen!)

I know Command+E moves to the end of a line, and Command+W is start of line, but holding shift doesn't do anything.

Also I do use vi, this would be easy: dd. The fancier way is ^v$x or ^d$ or a handful of other ways. I was kind of expecting some kind of Command+? to do the same, since Command+D is "Duplicate". Pico-8 feels more Emacs and I'm fine with that, I was just curious if I was missing something.

(What is working so far but not ideal: go one line down, Command+W, then shift+Up. This highlights to the start of the last line.)

P#74001 2020-03-17 01:12 ( Edited 2020-03-17 01:13)

[Please log in to post a comment]