gf
by dw817
Cart #gf-0 | 2020-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS Pico-8 cart in immediate mode type:

load #gf

You know how you see something somewhere and you tell yourself, that's pretty neat. I wonder if I can do that.

Well this is an actual classic example of that. I was looking at @LoveDan's interesting frame which appears and disappears:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36564

Well I thought it might be interesting the way I do it, with a kind of sizzle sparkling line that moves over it like a mirror's light. Like a Star Trek transporter or Phaser disintegration.

The demo is a bunch of bouncing balls to show it really does run in the background and uses standard _DRAW() and _UPDATE() functions. Does not write to sprite area so you can animate sprites and stuff while it's running.

• Press (O) to make the first text appear.
  • Press (X) to make the second text appear.
  • Press UP to clear the frame instantly.
  • Press RIGHT to start the frame's animation over.
  • Press LEFT to make it sparkle and disappear.
P#72133 2020-01-20 21:29 ( Edited 2020-01-20 23:27)

So if I understand correctly, it draws the box to the graphics buffer during the UPDATE pass, and then copies all the pixels into Lua memory?

Then once the pixels are in a giant Lua object they can be copied back, one at a time, to the draw buffer during the DRAW pass?

P#72142 2020-01-21 00:26

I have to read that carefully, @apLundell. Yep. This will only work on those _DRAW() carts where you redraw the screen each time.

Use opening arguments:

x=-1 ... center x
x=-2 ... right-justify x
y=-1 ... center y
y=-2 ... right-justify y

Otherwise X & Y coordinates are top-left corner. Can change border too, stored in sprites as 4x6 images.

I was sorely tempted to stuff it in the sprite buffer but this way you can still use your sprites in the background.

As I'm coding in both Pico-8 and Blitz now I think it's pretty nifty so I'll do something similar to this for Blitz but with true alpha smearing and animated rotation sparkles.

P#72144 2020-01-21 01:35 ( Edited 2020-01-21 01:41)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 21:59:19 | 0.025s | Q:21