Cart #morsetua-0 | 2019-11-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Welcome, cadet.

You have been chosen by Comshield to operate the new Strategic Telegraphic Interception System, or in short, STSI. Built by Babbagetech Industries, the STSI is the new best mechanalytical science can offer to intercept enemy messages and provide the Western European Republics an invaluable edge in the current battle for the soul of the continent.

I need not explain to you how crucial it is for us to gain any possible advantage in the current Franco-Teutonic war. The mass employ of wireless long distance communication is perhaps the greatest innovation that this was has seen. Gone are the days of messengers or slow wired telegraphs. Nowadays each platoon has their own wireless telegraph machine, sending messages through the air encoded with the peculiar brainwaves of the operator. The wonders of mechanalysis have created a new sort of war - fast, mobile, deadly. When the war started, in 1921, no one could have imagined things would be this different from the last conflicts - but now we're quickly catching up. This project will hopefully turn the tide.

Thanks to the technology of the STSI, you will be able to immerse yourself into the flow of communication we can intercept, but not easily decipher, from the enemy lines. Your brainwaves will synchronise with the message, and you will experience a natural interface to the decryption system. Your own body's natural physical instincts will aid you in the complex task of cracking the encryption. All you will have to do, from your perspective, is jump.

The STSI connects with your brain at a deep level. Without such a deep connection, it would not be able to harvest the full capabilities of your own neurons to crack the encryption. If you make a mistake and do not jump in time, the feedback will not be innocuous. Let's just say that you run just as many risks as your brothers and sisters fighting in the trenches. A good soldier knows how to face a honourable death. A great one manages to stay alive to better serve their country. Be a great soldier.

That is all. You may begin your work. Stay sharp: the country, and our own Founding Father, Emperor Napoleon himself, have their eyes on you.

Controls:

Press UP to jump and avoid the Morse code messages.

P#69975 2019-11-17 16:53 ( Edited 2019-11-17 17:09)

Good but I would keep a running total of all the words either for after the game or during so the player can rate themselves according to how well they did. Also words are cheap. Maybe not duplicate each word in succession. Build a sentence at the top.

Gameplay reminds me a lot of FLAPPY but where you don't die if you hit the ground.

You might be interested in this too, an article I wrote on the mechanics of MORSE code and possibly how to improve upon it today.

https://www.writerscafe.org/writing/dw817/1930107/

Going to give you a STAR too because this is indeed a unique and original idea for a Pico-8 game.

P#69976 2019-11-17 17:01 ( Edited 2019-11-17 17:05)

Thanks! But it does display the total of words, as a score; it's in the top right corner. Or you mean whole messages?

Anyway this was done for a three-hour game jam, so that's why I had to keep it so minimalist. I had indeed thought of having long messages, and even a story to follow through them. But there was no time to write it.

P#69977 2019-11-17 17:10 ( Edited 2019-11-17 17:10)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 07:07:09 | 0.010s | Q:19