I had discovered where the configuration file for Pico-8 was for binary export and came across an option in there:

fullscreen_method 1 // 0 maximized window (linux) 1 borderless desktop-sized window 2 fullscreen

Whatever you do DO NOT choose option 2 and run your cart. I had thought hardware snap was a thing of the past but apparently it's possible to do in Pico-8. You do NOT want to choose this as your monitor literally SNAPS to try and match the hardware resolution - which mine couldn't so the whole keyboard and mouse locked up and garbage appeared on my screen of other previous window tasks.

Fortunately I managed to shut down my computer and reboot. In the past techniques like this could physically damage your monitor and definitely royally crash your computer.

ZEP may I wholeheartedly recommend you REMOVE this option at least for Windows executables. No Windows software today should ever need hardware snap with the advanced graphic cards we have.

P#68102 2019-09-24 15:46 ( Edited 2019-09-24 21:19)

I think you need to explain more what you mean by "hardware snap". Searching for '"hardware snap" fullscreen' (minus the single-quotes) on Google, without even including PICO-8 as a keyword, just brings up two posts... by you... on this BBS. So that doesn't help clarify what you mean. It's possible it's just a problem on your end, maybe with your video card? I haven't actually heard of anyone physically damaging their monitor by going fullscreen with, well... any program, let alone PICO-8.

P#68105 2019-09-24 17:13 ( Edited 2019-09-24 17:13)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/will-non-native-resolutions-damage-monitor/90aabc99-f136-46d7-945c-40e68cec6941

http://www.ysmenofmeriden.com/TOD/04_16_08_TOD.html

Hardware snap may be a term I coined. What I mean is, the program does not use standard DirectX drawing and goes straight to the source, the monitor itself.

I call it SNAP because back then it actually made an audible click on the screen as it was forced into a new hardware resolution.

This was acceptable years ago when computers were slow and there were hardware resolution modes such as TEXT, CGA, EGA, VGA, and SVGA.

Your monitor would CLICK when it changed to one of these resolutions.

I'm just very surprised that Pico-8 would even attempt to do something like that today. There is absolutely no need to change from the default resolution of 1980x1080 merely for the sake of a Pico-8 display.

I suspect the ability to change hardware resolution may be something that could be useful for the actual PocketCHIP and that could be left over from that.

I don't own the hardware so I don't know. I just DO know this is a brand new Windows 10 gaming computer bought only 2-months ago. Yes, it's designed for high-end videogames and that's how I bought it.

So no, it's not a problem on my end as every single game to date I've purchased from STEAM plays just fine on it. If I want old-school, I use DOSBOX which emulates hardware-snap for old CGA, EGA, and VGA games but does not actually do it.

You can test it yourself by changing that number to two and running your executable (though I don't recommend it). While it may not be possible to damage modern screens today it still royally crashes Windows 10 requiring a reboot.

P#68106 2019-09-24 18:26 ( Edited 2019-09-24 18:41)

If you're hearing a click, I would suspect something is wrong with your hardware (no matter how new it is). Especially with games, changing resolutions is still fairly common these days (and I don't mean just borderless windowed mode). PICO-8 uses SDL, so while it may be emulating an experience from days of yore, it's still using fairly modern frameworks to do what it does. If changing resolution is really a problem on your monitor and you're worried about damage, just use borderless windowed mode, and make sure you do so when running other games that also change resolution.

As I mentioned, I've been using that fullscreen mode for some time (on literally dozens of different machines) and have never heard that click you're talking about. Maybe post a video?

P#68107 2019-09-24 18:50

As mentioned, there is no audible click for the monitor. I used the words "back then." This monitor is also brand-new too, flat-screen. There is no audible click. Those are, as you said, days of yore) :)

But my screen did foul up considerably nonetheless and my mouse and keyboard locked up. I also had music playing in the background (WINAMP) and it garbled and stopped. It was not pretty.

I really don't want to pull the tiger's tail and test that again. Now when you mention full-screen, there are a few types of full-screen. Chances are you are using "maximized window." and it was frameless.

Are you changing the file located at:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\pico-8

called:

"config.txt" ?

If you want to test this, bring that up that exact file in NOTEPAD and edit the "fullscreen_method" to show 2. Then run your EXE imported program and see if you don't get a mess on your computer or it locks up.

P#68108 2019-09-24 19:02 ( Edited 2019-09-24 19:15)

Heh... ya, I'm quite familiar with the config.txt file. :) I know what setting 2 does. That's the mode I use (and have been using for quite some time). Setting 1 is the borderless windowed mode I was referring to as an alternative if your computer is having a problem with actual fullscreen. My mistake on it not being an audible click, but if you're getting that much of a lock-up from going fullscreen and changing resolution (and, as you said, it's not an audible click sound), my first guess would be possibly your video drivers.

P#68109 2019-09-24 20:10

The simplest solution would be ... not to use a resolution that causes me problems.

Now ... you are telling me you went inside that exact directory location, modified that exact file, changed that particular number to two, and THEN ran your executable - have been all this time - and had absolutely no problems ?

... seems legit ...

My question is, what are you doing there ?? You're not supposed to be there at all ! That's a system directory ! Why aren't you using the standard configuration file that appears next to the installation directory for PICO and when did you go searching for another ?

(you see I'm gonna catch you on this) :)

P#68110 2019-09-24 20:14 ( Edited 2019-09-24 20:25)

Yes, I've been editing that file off and on for several years. (Often enough, in fact, that it never even leaves my Notepad recent files list.) I didn't even need to change the setting because it was already set to 2. It's not a secret deeply-hidden file. It's listed right near the top of the manual how to go find it and change it. Relative to fullscreen, running compiled .exe's of PICO-8 carts runs the same for me as running PICO-8 itself. I could shoot a video if you want proof....?

P#68111 2019-09-24 20:28

SIGH.

I didn't even need to change the setting because it was already set to 2.

Nossir, you are mistaken. For Windows anyway, it is not already set to 2 in installation. If you delete the initial CONFIG file or wholly uninstall Pico-8 and then reinstall it and then run PICO it recreates it for 1, =not= 2. Two is not already set. It is set for 1 which is a safe full-screen.

This seen via, "pico-8_0.1.12c_windows"

And it does not crash just running PICO. It only crashes for the following conditions. All four conditions must be TRUE.

[1] You must be running 64-bit Windows computer (possibly 10, it may not appear on other versions).

[2] The config file in appdata has the value of 2 for fullscreen instead of 1. This must be done and changed manually, it is not the default.

[2] You export an APP to an EXE in the editor.

[4] You then run that EXE.

Therefore at some point in your incarnation YOU or a mysterious virus changed your fullscreen to 2. It did not just "come" that way.

Now if you changed it yourself. WHY ? Doesn't PICO already work ? NO. I'm not going there.

I don't need this headache. I have what I wanted, which is a warning. Some may heed some may not. May affect you may not. It affected me and my computer.

Thanks for flagging this as SPAM. My fingers needed the workout. It does mean however, MBoffin, if I find anything else about Pico-8 that can possibly damage the computer and/or Windows I'll just keep it to myself lest it also be deemed spam.

Clearly you have a superb monitor, to this I say, "Crackers."

P#68113 2019-09-24 21:09 ( Edited 2019-09-24 21:19)

Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I definitely know that it's not the default. I changed it from the default quite some time ago and have been using setting 2 for quite some time.

I was saying I didn't need to change it to test what you were running into because I already use it in setting 2 and have been using setting 2 for quite some time.

All four of your conditions were met on my end and it still works fine. The two computers in front of me are both Windows 10, 64-bit. One is a Surface Book 2 laptop, the other is a custom built computer. I don't think the monitor I'm using is the issue.

As to why I change the config.txt, I do it all the time to change the max length of recorded gifs, screenshot sizes, windowed-mode sizes, etc. I'm not editing it because something is wrong, but just because I need different configurations from time to time.

P#68115 2019-09-24 21:41

MBoffin, this has already been marked SPAM and it wasn't me - SOMEONE doesn't like the topic. I thought Crackers was the nicest way to send this thread to oblivion which apparently is where it belongs.

Wow. Feel the love.

P#68116 2019-09-24 21:46

I did not flag this as spam. Someone else must have. I think the topic is fine to discuss.

P#68117 2019-09-24 23:31

Went to a spirit rally at the school with my niece a few hours earlier. Noisy affair, live band. got it all on video for her as a DVD. Nice to see her. She's 12 and ready to conquer the world already. :)

I certainly didn't feel that way today. There is always tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll post an interesting cart. best I can do for now.

09-25-19

Busy day - no real time to program. Saw my doctor. Then saw my Godfather and we all went out to the country to visit my sister. Saw her chickens, dogs, cats, and garden at her massive farm. She received her official Wildlife Habitat certification a few days ago. Very proud of her. Took a photo of it.

Been thinking about my project. Hopefully be done by tomorrow, think more magic trick and less laboratory.

P#68119 2019-09-24 23:51 ( Edited 2019-09-26 01:19)

[Please log in to post a comment]