Hello !
Is there easy way to start make games with pico-8 ?
I start make one and have a promblems:
-Hard to understand and calculate collisions..
-Hard to make sprite flips

is there way to make games easy with pico ?
Flameworks ? functions library ?

P#62527 2019-03-04 16:13

There are a bunch of great links on the Resources page to things you can use. The fanzines are a great place to start, and the PICO-ATE site has a whole section on just tutorials.

I hope that helps!

P#62529 2019-03-04 16:52

As mentioned, start with the zines and guides on the Resources pages. Best place to start.

There are core functions to make things go but there are no built-in libraries or frameworks per se. It's definitely a different mindset if you're coming from a NPM type of place...but you do learn a ton and feel better for it...I did.

Anything you use will take time to learn, right, but the Game Maker Studios of the world are better if you're not interested in learning some of the deeper under-the-hood stuff.

Having used Game Maker way before P8 even existed, then came to P8, and now it's hard to go back to GM because I no longer find it straight forward. Pico-8's ability to just let you instantly make something is unmatched. However, P8 is not without its frustrations...I still struggle with some of the more advanced math understanding that is needed to make some things happen, but thankfully the community here and on #pico8 Twitter is awesome and certainly the best resource you can have.

P#62543 2019-03-04 20:37 ( Edited 2019-03-04 20:39)

Here's a new video series to complement the resources link above. I just came across it and from what I skimmed its very beginner friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyhkEEoUjSQtUiSOu-N4BIrHBFtLNjkyE

P#62777 2019-03-12 16:37

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 22:07:27 | 0.006s | Q:15