Despite experience programming for over a decade, this is my first real completed game, ever. I did it basically just as a learning project before tackling something bigger in PICO-8. It's a very simple top-down shooter involving what looks to be robots. Enemies spawn faster and faster, and have random health. The gimmick (and thing that made implementation easier) is that you can only shoot while moving unless you're pushing against a rock. See how high of a score you can get! I got to 47. If an enemy touches you its game over.

Cart #fedofawahe-0 | 2019-01-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#60950 2019-01-18 08:33 ( Edited 2019-01-18 08:35)

Nice game! It starts off easy but soon gets more challenging, especially as it seems that some enemies take more than 1 or 2 hits to die. Once you start playing catch-up you're in trouble!

The "only shoot while moving" made it more challenging as you are approaching the enemy - I think that's a cool feature.

You could add some different enemies and maybe some more music, but it's a nice little game already!

P#60954 2019-01-18 10:42

I was basically just trying to "finish" as quick as possible. I think I'll probably work on a more ambitious project (side scrolling maybe? or turn based rogue like), but my ideas for how to expand beyond this game is a proper level system where the map changes, random drop powerups, different enemies, and making music that isn't awful.

The only shoot while moving mechanic originally just made implementation a lot easier (no need for flipping sprites), but you basically have to charge an enemy to shoot them, which made it more interesting and a tiny bit less generic. Thanks for playing!

P#60971 2019-01-18 18:38

Interesting ! High score : 99

P#60988 2019-01-19 07:35

[Please log in to post a comment]