Hello everybody!

After watching couple videos about PocketChip and Pico-8 I totally fell in love with it and got obsessed with idea of building a portable console myself. So I ordered all the hardware, assembled it, and after some minor struggles with Linux (I'm a total noob in it, used Windows for all my life), managed to finally install PICO-8.

But after launching, all I saw was empty desktop on my little IPS LCD screen. Also I've figured out that the app is running and signal actually transfers to big screen via HDMI.

All I want is to change configs somewhere, to make PICO-8 run on small display. I've googled a lot, I've scrolled through all articles and threads I could find here, on reddit, hardware wikis and no result. (ANd the facts that I'm a newbie in Linux and english isn't my native language also adds its drop of bitterness)

Can someone please provide me with comprehensive advice, with no missing steps. Maybe, a link to some tutorial?

I've read this post https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3174 . But "The screen mirrors the output of the HDMI" is easy thing for its autor but a missing piece of info for me.

Waiting for your suggestions, pico-friends!

P#60115 2018-12-19 22:06

Try editing the file at this path with a text editor:

~/.lexaloffle/pico-8/config.txt

Look for "windowed" and look at the number after it. If the number is 0, change it to 1. Save the file, then start pico8 again. I'm wondering if it's attempting to start up in full screen mode, but your display configuration thinks something else is the primary display. If you tell it to open in windowed mode, it might be friendlier about opening the window on the intended display.

I assume you're familiar with a text editor and Linux filesystem paths. Are you also familiar with the Linux command line? There are plenty of tutorials and YouTube videos on those subjects, and they can be useful in trying to configure and launch Pico-8 in various ways. They're essential skills in setting up a Linux/Raspberry Pi machine to run certain things in certain ways.

Are you using a Raspberry Pi or some other system to run Linux? Which Linux distribution are you using (such as Debian, Raspian, RedHat, etc.)?

P#60131 2018-12-20 04:38

I am using Raspbian Strech(last updated version). I'm familiar with Terminal a bit. But that's not much helpful, I've tried to launch RaspberryPi with fb0 and fb1 parameters. None of these brought pico 8 to small LCD screen. Now I'm trying to install pico8 on Retropie. Mirroring LCD and HDMI outputs works, finally! but, as a downside, touch screen isn't going to work =/ so I don't know how it will be possible to create sprite graphics on pico

P#60276 2018-12-23 00:37

What LCD are you using?

P#60277 2018-12-23 01:11

Waveshare 3.5" IPS LCD (B) Spotpear - NOT HDMI version

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/3.5inch_RPi_LCD_(B)#Image

P#60304 2018-12-23 19:27

So, it is Christmas, and I just got a similar display for my Pi, and Pico-8 doesn't display on it either. I wonder what RetroPie does differently?
Also, I found this.
https://learn.adafruit.com/running-opengl-based-games-and-emulators-on-adafruit-pitft-displays/overview
Seems similar to what we need to do. At least the FBCP part.

P#60344 2018-12-25 14:33 ( Edited 2018-12-25 22:18)

@hwd2002 Yup, seen that article. Seems like I've done what autor suggests in it, but based on more detailed instruction, I'll share the link as soon as I manage to find it in my bookmarks pile. Now Retropie runs on LCD and mirrors to HDMI, but refresh rate is slow af. FPS counter shows big numbers but IRL it's about 5 on LCD. There are 2 problems - the resolution is too big for running games rapidly + bloody GPIO(or SPI) connection. Now I'm going to make a backup of working setup and play a little with config file + I've found a site with custom drivers one guy written for this screen to run faster. If it doesn't help, I'd better sell this screen and buy myself the HDMI version =\\

P#60372 2018-12-26 09:44

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 11:10:33 | 0.025s | Q:19