Cart #58320 | 2018-10-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls:

[Z] Red Player/Player One Drop Bomb
[W] Yellow Player/Player Two Drop Bomb
[Arrows L/R] Select Switch Left or Right
[Arrows U/D] Toggle Switch Up or Down

How to Start a One Player Game:

First, turn on the console. When the console is on, the game number can be seen above the play field. This screen is the game select screen. Toggle the game reset switch while the game number is 1 and you will start a one player game. Have fun!

How to Play:

The player with the highest score wins. The game ends when someone scores 1000 points or misses with six bombs. If you do not hit a colored block with your bomb it is a miss. If you do not take a shot as you cross the canyon, it is a miss. The deeper the block, the higher the score. Six different game modes for one or two players.

More on Using the Console:

Hitting the game reset switch does one of two things. It either exits the game and returns to the game select screen or it will launch the currently selected game. Use the game select switch to select the game number you want to play.

With the difficulty switch in the upper position (a), you cannot shoot another bomb until it has hit something. Setting the difficulty switch to the lower position (b), you can fire again before the bomb has hit something with no penalty. The left and right difficulty switches are for player one and player two respectively.

The TV type switch gives you the option of B&W or color.

You can only shut off the console from the game select screen. The game select switch only can be toggled from the game select screen.

P#58321 2018-10-24 04:15 ( Edited 2018-10-25 07:50)

Boy, this is something. A Pico-8 level Atari 2600 simulation. I love the inclusion of the black-and-white switch!

There's a bug (I think?) where if the red player presses fire again while their bomb is still in midair, the bomb will disappear and the red player will launch another one. Just hold Z to see what I mean.

It's super cool to see this old 2600 game like this!

P#58371 2018-10-24 18:12 ( Edited 2018-10-24 22:12)

Pretty neat stuff ! Looking forward to seeing future Atari 2600 games like this !

Here's a star
and favorited.

Challenge ? Try Air-Sea Battle (similar, but you shoot up instead of down).

https://youtu.be/NJKMUNTChTg

P#58383 2018-10-24 23:25 ( Edited 2018-10-25 03:26)

@PicoLate:
I checked it out. And I think what you are experiencing is the bomb actually 'degenerating' on it's way down blowing stuff up. Basically each shot has a random amount of HP and each block does a slightly set plus random amount of damage. So basically each shot should do about the same damage with room for some real duds and some gems. If you play mode 3, 4 or 6, you can really see it happening. It's so you can go for the higher score blocks if you want and aim for those alleys and canyons. Or it was that your player one (a) difficulty switch was toggled down, but then you'd be dropping bombs all hyper like. It'd sound crazy.

@dw817:
I'm still thinking of putting depth charge in there. It'd be game number 7 and 8 of course. Just like the atari 2600 cart.

Thanks both of you. I read a handful of books over the year about the years 72-84'ish mostly atari related. Some just about the culture, others about actually programming the 2600. I was pretty mesmerized.

P#58391 2018-10-25 03:50 ( Edited 2018-10-25 07:50)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 20:33:35 | 0.025s | Q:22