I am working on a node based particle effect editor, and things are starting to come together. There is still a lot missing to use this to make sensible effects, but I thought I'd share it early to get feedback. Thanks to @Goldfsh who has helped me out with some painful HTML.

try it out!
Source

The idea is to have an editor that allows you to be very flexible with particle generation (for example, chaining and layering particle effects) without having to write code. Green sockets pass numbers, while Purple sockets get "Triggered". For example, the emitter node will trigger at the given interval. You can then chain this to a Linear Emitter node, that will trigger CNT times, at different offsets. You can then feed this into a particle system to actually generate particles with speed, weight, lifetimes. ANother example would be to take a sine wave generator, scale it with MultAdd, but use a MouseInput to trigger the particle systems. You can then use the Die output of particle generators to add more particles when the first set dies. There is currently a very limited set of nodes. Future plans include many more nodes (math nodes, event handling nodes, and of course particle system types), more controls (for example, loading sprites from HTML into pico, palette, bezier curve editors). And of course a way to generate efficient pico8 code out of the graph.

P#57023 2018-09-23 20:27 ( Edited 2018-10-29 13:37)

Just come across this - very cool indeed.
I don't think I've completely figured out how to use it all yet.
Perhaps having some sample built-in config/JSON files to demo with might help beginners?
Still, a very interesting use of Pico8 + JS
Well done!

P#58524 2018-10-29 09:37 ( Edited 2018-10-29 13:37)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 13:25:15 | 0.013s | Q:12