I made a game for 1hgj/LowRezJam/Kajam. It's a turn-based puzzler where you tactically extinguish - and start - fires.

I decided to add a level editor to it and store the levels in "the cloud". The way it’s done is by exploiting the GPIO flags that were added to PICO-8 presumably to be able to control simple lights on your Raspberry Pi or similar. Since the data needed to store a level is pretty light, I save it in these GPIO controls, which can then be read by the HTML5 app serving the PICO-8 cart. The data is then stored on my own server via a REST interface.

People have done this before me, for example kometbomb used this technique to post high-scores to kongreate and BenWiley4000 created a library to make it simple to use the GPIO flags (which I forked!).

However, it’s very cool to have a PICO-8 game that enables user-generated content! I can’t wait to see what kind of crazy challenges will appear!

Check it out! (it's on my own server as I need to modify the HTML5 wrapper in order to access the GPIO flags).

More info over at the 5th Kajam page.

P#56451 2018-09-09 15:21 ( Edited 2018-09-09 21:29)

Really cool that you use the GPIO like that! I hadn't seen the earlier stuff, so that's pretty inspiring.

I really like the game too though :D You could put it on a site like itch.io, where you can have your own HTML5 wrapper.

P#56458 2018-09-09 17:29 ( Edited 2018-09-09 21:29)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-18 09:38:15 | 0.006s | Q:18