Cart #48150 | 2018-01-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update 0.9.1

• added highscores!
  • added crappy background (i can't for the life of me design one better)

Update 0.8

• spirits now eerily wobble, spooky!
  • added some particle effects
  • SFXs don't have mute notes no more!

Update 0.7.1

• fixed a bug where the player could be so fast as to go through the play area bounds

Press the arrow keys to move the grimmy reaper and pick the souls in limbo to take them to a better place! You have limited time until these souls are lost for ever!

(The target looking sprite is a time boon, btw)

Hi guys! This is my first ever cart I made in Pico - 8 and uploaded to the BBS

As this is a WIP I haven't finished it, not too much is missing but there's some things for the life of me I can't figure out how to fix

• Almost always spirits will spawn on top of another, it doesn't affect gameplay but I'd like them not to do that but I don't know how to do it. Spirits are added to a list with random X Y values but since this is my first time dealing with lua I don't know how to fix it. Any input will be appreciated

• I'll add flashy effects for the title and the in game play, such as spirits or the time boon disappearing

• I'll add a background to the main level in the coming updates

• Add highscores

(the game is too easy as of now)

A special thanks to the guys who helped me/nudged me in the right direction here in the BBS and over at the Discord, you guys rock!

P#48125 2018-01-13 14:25 ( Edited 2018-01-14 04:55)

got 980 my first playthrough! my only real complaint is that around level 26ish your speed is fast enough to go through the souls without picking them up, but otherwise pretty solid simple gameplay. you can go through the top and bottom sometimes, but it doesn't make it unplayable or anything.

as far as your first bullet point, since you have the positions of each soul in a list, and each soul is 8x8, you could generate a position for your next soul, and then run through the position list and make sure your new one isn't both greater than or equal to any listed soul's x AND less than or equal to listed x plus eight, and likewise for the y. keep in mind though that as the amount of souls increases it'll be harder to find a free spot if not impossible

good job so far, can't wait to see how this ends up :)

P#48132 2018-01-13 16:12 ( Edited 2018-01-13 21:12)

I like it! Most ppl make way too complicated games as their first one. This is perfectly sized and well thought out. Was pleasantly surprised to see the time extension items pop up exactly when I needed them.

One little detail - I would suggest making the soul pickup sound start at the beginning of the sound. Right now there are two empty notes at the beginning and they make they sound play with a noticeable delay.

Keep it up!

P#48134 2018-01-13 16:23 ( Edited 2018-01-13 21:23)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-16 23:30:20 | 0.010s | Q:17