Hi y'all! I'm trying to get back to working on a game that I started on an old computer, but I'm having trouble finding the cartridge and/or any form of data for it.

I've tried looking for the library/application support/pico-8 folder, but I'm not finding anything there. I saved, loaded, and played the game multiple times while working on it, so I'm hoping the data should be somewhere, right?

A few notes:
-I no longer have the older computer, so I'm looking for the files on a backup hard drive. The computer never broke down or anything, I just got a newer one and gave it away.
-I never moved the application out of my downloads folder, which might explain why the files aren't in the application support folder. Is there a similar space in the library for downloads specifically?

Thank you for any ideas or insight! I'm hoping I can get back to my game soon~

P#47132 2017-12-05 14:01 ( Edited 2017-12-06 18:13)

it should be in

~/Library/Application\ Support/pico-8/backup/

...if it's not there, I don't know of anywhere else it would be :x
it doesn't matter if you ran it out of your Downloads folder

P#47136 2017-12-05 17:10 ( Edited 2017-12-05 22:38)

I found my game!

Thanks for the reassurance, kittenm4ster! Knowing that was the location things should be helped me to keep looking in that area & figure things out.

The issue was that the file was not showing up in every backup that osx's time machine had made. After some searching, I found out that the file was only uploaded to dated backups where updates were made to the game itself. I was looking in the latest backup, but I hadn't made any changes to the game recently, and so Time Machine (the osx backup system) didn't make a new version of the file. Going back to an older date, one where I'd made changes to the game in between then and the previous backup, was when a new version of the file was stored onto the disk, and I was able to find several instances of the file throughout the last year in older backups.

Hopefully anyone with similar issues can find this thread and know where to look. Thanks again!

P#47155 2017-12-06 12:44 ( Edited 2017-12-06 17:48)

yay! glad to hear it worked out!

P#47156 2017-12-06 13:13 ( Edited 2017-12-06 18:13)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 01:00:20 | 0.007s | Q:14