Cart #31269 | 2016-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As I've run out of memory with no reply to my query:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27921

I am forced to post this in 2-pieces. I've already written the rest of the game, so that part is complete.

I just can't include two compressed pictures with the amount of code I've written thus far.

So now I am just working on a name entry and keeper of high scores. Once that is complete, I will post part 2. It will be the main entire game minus the logo routine you see above.

(Z) "O" to start game (not here)
(X) "X" to speed up scrolling text

P#31270 2016-10-19 20:50 ( Edited 2016-10-21 06:55)

Well isn't that darling of you ! I loved the live-action movie, didn't you ? :D

However, you may find the game runs a darker channel - especially if you lose. The "ending" texts are encrypted in the source and it might take a few tries for you to find all of them.

The main interest in this game I think is exploring the unknown - and in the dark. You never know what will happen - depending upon what you come across. I've also put some definite 'scare factor' items in - if your time runs out.

I also offered anyone else to build a Halloween themed game this month - but there were no takers. Guess it's just me.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27885

P#31273 2016-10-19 21:56 ( Edited 2016-10-20 05:58)

I'm excited for this! Atari Haunted House is one of my favorites, and I think you nailed the lightning effect in the GIF.

Looking forward to part 2.

P#31301 2016-10-20 11:49 ( Edited 2016-10-20 15:49)

Thanks, Quick. Curiously enough, I was playing the Atari Haunted House a bit last night to look at some ideas.

The concept of traveling completely in the dark and seeing shadows as only being walls - is a claustrophobic feeling indeed.

While this game's map is static, that is, once it is calculated, the walls do not move. I think a future game where things move if they are out of sight and not if they aren't might make for a definitely eerie game indeed.

Geist, it's not that difficult to make a holiday themed game. Just think of the classic elements involved w the season and I'm sure you can come up with something. :)

I will be doing a Christmas themed game in the future as well.

P#31322 2016-10-20 13:56 ( Edited 2016-10-20 17:57)

Atari haunted house was one of my favourites. And you seem to have captured its spirit in that gif. That intro though. Jeebus that was fun to watch.

P#31333 2016-10-20 16:00 ( Edited 2016-10-20 20:00)

Sudoradish, if you watch the rain carefully, it goes behind the text but in front of everything else. That's something for the brain to figure out. :)

Just wish PICO had a smidge more memory.

The code I'm working on ATM. There will be a TOP TEN players, I found a way to include a smaller Haunted House image in the main code, and there will be a name entry with (what I hope) will be a fast input routine.

P#31336 2016-10-20 16:25 ( Edited 2016-10-20 20:25)

Geistvonpa:

• I think you're giving yourself too little credit. Me ? I'm not a good programmer, that should be obvious by looking at my code.

I can't wrap my head around object-oriented code, for instance. Not at all.

But I still get games, tools, and utilities done.

How ?

Patience. Lots of patience. Trying out things in many different ways.

Reading and learning. I read up on a language, every little resource I can find, both on site and off site.

Examples of others. Run them by the hundreds. See what can be done. See what can't be done. See if I can do what was that said that can't be done. (That's exciting territory right there) :)

Exploring. Getting my feet wet. Trying out new things. Realizing, at least for PICO, (variable)={} is an exceptionally powerful command. So much so when I get around to finishing up my own game maker, I will likely use the concept - but make it invisible.

So you can just start using and defining an array instantly without having to annotate {}.

For anything you can think of in a game, Geistvonpa, outside 3D mechanics, there's a good chance I know how to code it, quite simply, because I had the patience to learn how.

See the big picture. You want to have a player move around based on arrow keys or jumping. That's fine. What else happens ? Imagine every possible instance of what can happen based on what the player does. Write it all down on paper or in NOTEBOOK if it helps.

S2, a game maker of mine, for instance, took a little over 10-years for me to write. To help build it, I wrote down notes on 3 very BIG and real notebooks + 50 some odd NOTEPAD files each several hundred lines long detailing the engine in its entirety.

It all boils down to INPUT, PROCESS, OUTPUT.

A hardy interest in how everything things works in the world can add to this ability. For instance, my curiosity of logic gates began when I was 5.

My sister, for instance, showed an interest in caring for animals about age 10. Today, she works on a farm with several of them.

DO - WHAT - YOU - LIKE - but do something. Life is too short to not to leave a positive mark in the world. :)

P#31351 2016-10-20 21:20 ( Edited 2016-10-21 01:29)

Making some nice progress (finally !)

Got the High Score routine done.

Not sure why the animation is hiccuping and staggering. The actual cart does not when played w the interpreter.

Now I need to work on the name entry part.

P#31372 2016-10-21 02:55 ( Edited 2016-10-21 07:02)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 22:25:18 | 0.012s | Q:22