Classic dungeoncrawling renderer which draws 8x8 pixel tiles to represent the view. Player movement is restricted to the grid and 4 directions.
Things that could be experimented with or added:
- Floors and ceilings.
- Sprites like trees or enemies.
- Different textures depending on grid value.
- Transitions when turning left right, or even forward backward.
- Dynamic lighting. Use different lightsources and write to a gridbased lightmap which is then used when rendering.
- Height levels.
- The perspective is a bit weird sometimes and I guess could be made better
Controls: Use arrow keys to move and x to place/remove block. Cannot move outside level bounds.
Yes I was thinking about a left/right swipe for turning. Good suggestion with the fade, that should probably work ok! Another thing I thought of was to scale the whole screen in intervals before the new view is set, but that could perhaps be a bit tough on performance.
I'm a bit tempted go for height levels but I'd probably need to rethink everything from ground up, so maybe I'll save it for another time.
Log in to post a comment