@zep It would be hugely helpful if we had a -home [path] commandline parameter for Picotron. I'll describe how I currently have it set up for PICO-8, so you can see how it would be helpful for Picotron:

> Computer lab environment, with each computer having Google Drive installed. (Installing Google Drive locally is like Dropbox, but for Google Drive. Basically gives you a G-Drive on your computer that is direct local access to your Google Drive files and folders, so you can, say, save directly from Notepad into your Google Drive.)
>
> PICO-8 is installed on each computer, but the desktop shortcut to launch PICO-8 uses the -home commandline parameter to point the home folder to c:\pico8 instead of the user's profile folder. Inside c:\pico8 are folder symlinks for carts and images that point to corresponding folders in G:\My Drive\pico8. Then the c:\pico8\config.txt points desktop_path and root_path to ./images and ./carts, respectively.
>
> This means no matter which computer they use, c:\pico8\carts always points to their carts folder in their G-Drive. And because their carts are saved to the cloud, they're not locked to using a specific computer and they can even access carts from home.

This works beautifully.

However, with Picotron having no -home commandline parameter, each student is now locked to having to use a specific computer if they want to use Picotron because on each computer, a separate picotron_config.txt gets created for each student that logs in, rather than just being able to simply have the Picotron desktop shortcut globally point to the single c:\picotron folder and pick up the global config file in there.

I hope this makes sense. It would be hugely helpful to have this feature.

Or, in place of a -home parameter, having a -mount parameter that supersedes whatever is in the picotron_config.txt file would work too. Then I could just make the desktop shortcut use -mount / "G:\My Drive\picotron\drive" and that would work just as well.

P#145805 2024-04-05 16:21

(Also, totally aside, it appears blockquoting in posts doesn't render correctly on the BBS, but it does render correctly in Preview when writing a new post.)

P#145809 2024-04-05 16:36

[Please log in to post a comment]