Another quality of life improvement feature request:

Add a screensaver option to splore.

Use case:
Let's say I built a PICO-8 arcade cabinet. Splore works well in that context as a frontend cart interface. But, when the machine boots into splore, it just sits static at the menu until a user interacts with it. While the cabinet is not being used, it would be amazing if splore could wait for some amount of time for user input and then display a screensaver until input is detected, at which point it just goes back to normal splore.

If I could, say, define a list of screensaver carts in a csv file, and then use something like a -screensaver commandline argument to define the filepath, then nothing custom would even need to be created. Splore would just need to randomly select one of the carts in the defined csv file, run it for some period of time (say 5 minutes or whatever) before randomly picking another one. Rinse/repeat until user input is detected.

So, an example commandline might be:
pico8 -windowed 0 -screensaver /path/to/screensaver/cartlist.csv -splore

...and an example cartlist.csv might be:
%AppData%\pico-8\bbs\carts\zinmtamu-0.p8,%AppData%\pico-8\bbs\carts\pipes_p8-1.p8,%AppData%\pico-8\bbs\carts\galaxies_collide_screensaver-0.p8

P#134404 2023-09-15 17:59

I think this is a great idea.

P#134799 2023-09-23 10:22

This is a great idea. Or at least cycling through some cart lables

P#135039 2023-09-28 12:41

I'm all for a screen saver tab, maybe give it its own "favorites" list that p8 randomly loads from as a screensaver. Though on the wrong screens it might result in some weird burn in without a coordinated agreement that screensavers need a black background

P#135052 2023-09-28 17:15

Yeah, but the user would have complete autonomy about which carts they want to mark for use as screensaver, so if you're concerned about burn in, you could just not select it and ask the cart dev to make a change. Also, if play duration were configurable, you could just shorten the duration each cart plays in the rotation so that your screen updates more regularly to avoid burn-in.

P#135053 2023-09-28 17:31

[Please log in to post a comment]